Setting up your profile is the first step to becoming active in your community. Your user profile provides other community members with an easy way to learn about your experience, skills, and interests. Your profile shows up in search results when other members search for keywords contained in your profile. You can update your information at any time.
To set up your profile:
- Click the drop down next to your name or avatar.
- Choose the Edit Profile link.
- Fill in as much profile information as you'd like. All required fields (marked) will need to be filled in before you can save the profile. Note that your profile will be found when people search, so if you have professional roles or interests that would be useful for others to know, be sure to include them. Your community manager may set up certain fields for you, such as your username, and you may not be able to edit them.
- The next tab, Privacy, will allow you to decide what you want visible to registered users, friends, everyone, or just yourself.
- The third tab is choosing your avatar. This photo will be the largest picture on your profile page. It is also the image that everyone sees when you interact with others on the community.
- The last tab is for photos on your profile. Add two photos at least. (Hint: You receive 20 points for every photo you upload!)
- Make sure you click Finished at the end of every tab.
- You will now be looking at your profile.
- In the upper right-hand corner you'll see an Edit Banner option. Go ahead and upload an image to set as your banner.
Keep in Mind: Your WHOLE Profile is not shared with all users! As I mentioned in step 4, you decide what you want visible and to who.
Below are screenshots of what each tab looks like.