cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery consumption in background (iPad iOS10, 16.20.010)

Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Battery consumption in background (iPad iOS10, 16.20.010)

Hi,

It looks to us like the ServiceMax app uses quite a lot of battery in the background since we've upgraded to iOS10 and 16.20.010. We never had this problem before, I didn't even know the app had the possibilty to do anything in the background?

When I look in the settings of my iPad I can see the app was busy for 5 hrs in the background which drained my battery:

Anybody else sees the same?

Best regards,

Jeroen Gantevoort

Re: Battery consumption in background (iPad iOS10, 16.20.010)

Hi Jeroen,

Unless you forcefully close an iOS app, it will remain running in the background.  If the Servicemax app is taking up that much resources, it might be stuck on a sync.  I would recommend double clicking the home button and swipe up on your apps to close them.  Also, holding down the power button and doing a full power off and on of the iPad might be a good starting point before re-using the app. 

Should this continue, please open a case with support and we can review the logs to find out why.  This has not been an overly common issue this far. 

Thanks,

ChrisM.

crt_chrism​

0 Likes
Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Which versions of the mobile app have ability to sync in the background?

0 Likes
Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Hi Alex,

As far as I know none have that ability, that's why it's so strange the usage in the background is this high.

Highlighted
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Most likely it's the GPS ping that's running in the background.

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

wouldnt that be considered a "sync"?

Or are we thinking GPS data sent using a different method / application ?

0 Likes
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

I believe the application tracks the location in the background and stores the records until a natural or scheduled sync.

Fry Chef
Fry Chef

That's a good one, when you select the option "While Using the App" in the location settings of ServiceMax you can see "ServiceMax is Using Your Location" in the information bar. I will try the "Never" option and see if it makes a difference.

0 Likes
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

You need to be careful though if you are using location to dispatch technicians. If you block the Location completely you won't be able to pull them up on the map to locate the nearest technician to a work order for dispatching.

Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Hi David,

We don't use the location services of ServiceMax but I agree that this could cause problems when you do.

Best regards,

Jeroen

Product Team
Product Team

Were you able to run this test and see if it made a difference?

My guess is also that it is the Location Service that is draining the battery. As David mentioned, GPS coordinate capture using Location Service is different from Data Sync. While Data Sync cannot/does not run when the app is backgrounded but Location Service does. GPS coordinate will continue to get captured and stored in the device's local database but it just won't be synchronized to the server when the app is in the background.

Nevertheless, 55% of battery utilization when the app has been in the background for 5 hours is a big problem. To me it points to sub-optimal implementation or configuration of GPS location tracking.

Fry Chef
Fry Chef

We've been using the app for a couple of days now with location services turned off. Battery usage is back to normal again.

Product Team
Product Team

Thank you - good to know.

0 Likes
Roast Chef
Roast Chef

was digging in to the ServiceMax Documentation yesterday and found an excerpt that implied this: continuously stored locally until data sync is performed

That is why there is a "Max # of GPS coordinates to store locally [before being synced]" section in the mobile configuration screen

0 Likes
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Would it be possible to have a setting where we (as admins) can set the frequency that the Location is being sent back to the DC?

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Below is the setting that determines how often GPS location is captured on the mobile device

Please be wary that the data actually being SENT is still dependent on a DATA SYNC action - either induced by a SAVE action, a timed Sync action (under "syncronization settings" within this same window as above), or a manual data sync action

0 Likes