cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Moments: FSA Phone - Reporting Technician Activity

Product Team
Product Team

Design Moments: FSA Phone - Reporting Technician Activity

As a designer on the UX team, I am currently working on improving the overall mobile experience on the new FSA phone app for iPhone and Android by creating more targeted screens for technicians out in the field. For this post, I am specifically seeking feedback around reporting technician activity on any given work order.

With the upcoming release of FSA iPhone/Android, we are introducing a notion of capturing technician activity under "Your Activity". I'd like to share the concept design with you to better understand how well this might support your technicians' current workflow:

Your Activity.png

1. The first screen shows the first activity a technician would report, 'Accept'.
  2. After accepting, a technician will then see his/her current activity as reported.
  3. The last screen shows the menu in which the technician will select his/her activity, as well as, a timestamp of the previously reported activity.

In addition to your thoughts on this concept, I'd love to know:

- Do your technicians currently report their status within the FSA app? If so, how?

- How well does reporting technician activity fit into your business needs?

- How well does this interaction fit into your technicians' workflow?

Again, I'd love to get your thoughts on this as the mobile team continues to work hard to shape a better experience for technicians.

Message 1 of 27
26 Replies
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Re: FSA Phone: Reporting Technician Activity

We currently use a custom picklist field called 'order status' to track these status changes. The primary tech is the only one who can change this field. The field value is set by a series of SFMs.

We have encountered limitations in this as far as more than 2 trips to the site by the primary cannot be accounted for, nor can secondary techs indicate order status. Also, the sync on the FSA does not always catch the order status change which does lead to issues with any functionality built behind the changing of the order status (e.g. SFM availability, approval processes, work flows).

I would recommend building in the ability to track more than 1 techs activity status as well as to account for multiple trips (if a part is needed for return or its a multi-day project - primary or secondary) under one WO.

Message 2 of 27
Product Team
Product Team

Thanks for your input, Adam Homoly .

Could you tell me more about the scenario of technicians having to take multiple trips?

- Does this happen often?

- Does the primary technician need visibility into the secondary technician's activity?

- How are multiple trips accounted for today? Or how could it ideally be accounted for? (e.g., put on hold, onsite until work order can be marked as complete, etc.)

Message 3 of 27
0 Likes
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Could you tell me more about the scenario of technicians having to take multiple trips?

- Does this happen often? - Yes, especially for installs or larger projects or when an ordered part comes in as DOA from the supplier.

- Does the primary technician need visibility into the secondary technician's activity? - Yes, as well as the dispatcher and service manager.

- How are multiple trips accounted for today?  There is a SFM used by the primary to place the WO in 'Requires Revisit' status with a pick list to indicate the reason for the revisit (secondary's are unable to influence the order status, which can lead to issues - especially if the primary techs work is complete but the secondary needs to return). Once the criteria has been met to return to the site, the dispatcher has to reassign it to a primary in order for the WO to be furthered processed. Once the work is complete, the primary uses another SFM to change the WO to 'WO Complete' status and the WO enters an approval process.

Or how could it ideally be accounted for? (e.g., put on hold, onsite until work order can be marked as complete, etc.)

Message 4 of 27
Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Re: Design Moments: FSA Phone - Reporting Technician Activity

We basically have the same set-up as Adam reported, some of the naming conventions are different but process appears to be the same.

As for showing Multi tech's that are dispatched on a single WO, we had to create custom Apex code/triggers for this. It's fine that you can show it in the DC, though on the WO and emailing the proper alerts to all parties is severely lacking and should be a SMAX OOTB solution.

Thanks,

Sonia

Message 5 of 27
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Yes, our field service reps (FSR) do report all status via Work Order ‘Field Status’ field. This is critical for our service flow

In our implementation of ServiceMax we use Work Order ‘Field Status’ and FSR sets it first to ‘Accepted’

If for any reason FSR can’t take the call, then ‘Field Status’ is set it to ‘Rejected’

When FSR is ready to travel to customer site, the ‘Field Status’ is set to ‘Travel’

Once at customer site the ‘Field Status’ is set to ‘On-Site/On-Call’

If FSR needs to go back next day to customer site, they set ‘Field Status’ to ‘Further Action’ and then selects from list of ‘Further Action Reason’

Above is done either on iPhone ServiceMax Winter’18 App or on FSA running on window-based laptop computer.

Aleem Khawaja

Service Process Integrator

BD Life Sciences

Message 6 of 27
Product Team
Product Team

Thanks for sharing, Aleem Khawaja​.

It's very helpful to know that FSRs are able to set the 'Field Status' as 'Rejected'. Is there any follow-up/reasons FSR needs to provide for rejecting a call?

Is there a status for when the work order is complete? And if the FSR needs to return to the customer site, does the 'Field Status' remain as 'Further Action' until it is marked as complete?

Message 7 of 27
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

It's very helpful to know that FSRs are able to set the 'Field Status' as 'Rejected'. Is there any follow-up/reasons FSR needs to provide for rejecting a call? >>> Yes, if FSR Reject a WO, they need to provide a Reason For Rejection

Is there a status for when the work order is complete? >> Yes, WO’s “Field Status” is set to ‘Closed’

And if the FSR needs to return to the customer site, does the 'Field Status' remain as 'Further Action' until it is marked as complete? >> Yes

Message 8 of 27
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Hi Judy,

How does the above flow allow a technician to add another labor line of lets' say activity "QA" from 5:00PM - 6:00PM after entering the repair line?   Thanks.

Message 9 of 27
Product Team
Product Team

Hi Steve Mintz​,

Thanks for your question. This is something I haven't designed for yet so I'd love to get more background from you to better understand the scenario. However, at first thought, the above flow would suggest that a technician would add a Labor line of QA 5:00PM - 6:00PM to capture that work being done. And this would be done outside of the above flow. Alternatively, if "QA" is an activity that is often used, it would be configured to be part of the Your Activity menu.

Message 10 of 27