cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Moments: "Lines" in Work Orders Part 2

Product Team
Product Team

Design Moments: "Lines" in Work Orders Part 2

In a previous post, we shared designs on lines in a work order in a list format. While we believe improvements were made in glanceability, we received a lot of feedback on wanting to see more details at once. And because we understand that a good amount of technician’s/engineer’s time is spent entering data here, we wanted to explore other options in efforts to achieve a more robust experience.

In our current line of mobile products, lines are represented in tables.

IMG_0010.PNG

Tables are a good way to show a lot of details in a structured and organized way. However, displaying tables on a mobile device tends to get tricky, especially on smaller screen sizes (e.g., phone). Regardless, we wanted to take a crack at improving upon what’s already implemented in today’s line of mobile products.

With that said, here’s a peek into some concepts we are still tinkering away at:

Lines-TableView.png

See the table in action:

Video Link : 1577

I would love to hear your feedback, especially around the following:

• How well are you able to quickly understand the information displayed in the design?
  • How does this display of information compare to the list view shared in our previous Design Moment?
  • Would adding/editing lines be more efficient with this design of tables?
Highlighted
Product Team
Product Team

Re: Design Moments: "Lines" in Work Orders Part 2

Hey Michael Majerus​, Russell Jacobs​, Richard Lewis​, in following up with our initial post on "Lines" in Work Orders, I'd love to get your thoughts on this iteration of "lines" in table format. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Hi Judy

I like it, i think in general its a much cleaner design, and significantly more user friendly.

But (always a but), its a drum i beat a lot, but we use the site centric model, where we have more than one installed product on a WO, and from mock ups, this model is not supported. We would need these screens to be launched from the IP WO line (has the record type Product Serviced), so they are referencing the IP, not just the parent WO; if this is possible, then you have my full support.

Thanks

Russ

Product Team
Product Team

Hi Russell Jacobs,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it! We are still cooking up targeted screens and experiences so I hope to continue receiving your feedback as we are able to share IP related designs in the future.

0 Likes
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Dave Salter​, Craig MacIntyre

Take a look at this and provide your thoughts.

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi Judy Wu​, I believe this will be an improvement from what we have today. One big complaint is that when adding a part to a work order and saving it then take the technician back to the top of the work order and they have to navigate back to the add part screen.

It looks clear and easy to navigate but how many clicks does it take in this version to add a part compared to the previous or current version of the app?

I also didn't really understand the purpose of the expand icon you clicked as this seemed to show the same view. Is this a full screen icon? how is this intended to change the view?

Regards, Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Product Team
Product Team

Hey Richard,

Good point -- adding a part and being automatically taken back to the top of the work order isn’t productive at all. In this concept, we don’t have to worry about that since we keep the user at the table after a line has been added.

We haven’t done a direct click-for-click comparison with this concept yet, but we agree that click count to complete a task is important. At this current stage, we want to see whether or not the steps to add a line are clear or confusing. With that said, we do try to keep interaction minimal and will see what we can do to optimize. Feel free to share any ideas!

To clarify about the expand/show all buttons:

There can be multiple tables in any given work order, so we limited the number of visible lines in a table to allow easier access to multiple tables. We do this because we think that prioritizing table access and visibility at this point is more important than line visibility when viewing a work order. Once your technicians know what table they need to add or edit lines in, they can expand the table to work in it without distractions from the rest of the work order.

Line Chef
Line Chef

The more information our technicians have presented to them on screen allows them to carryout tasks in a more efficient way, less time spent and ease of use being the goal. Often Work Orders require large quantities of parts to be added which has in the past proved to be cumbersome and time consuming. If this new table view provides more data to technicians on one screen and therefore results in less clicks then it would be warmly received I'm sure.

Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Judy, i agree with Richard and Craig. What is more important here is the adding of additional parts to the parts order. Number of clicks and not having to go back and forth to the same screens to enter the details.

The views you depict are informative and a better layout