cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Export Attached Documents from iPad App so that we can Mark up and then Add back to iPad?

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

How to Export Attached Documents from iPad App so that we can Mark up and then Add back to iPad?

Is there a way to export a document in the ServiceMax App so that the technician can mark it up with another app that they have on their iPad?  They do this because they have to mark it up and then reload it back to the Work Order.  Currently we see that the only options they have is to Email, Copy, or Print the Document.  Have tried the Copy but nothing happens after we select copy.  They are doing the email option but it ends up using a lot of cellular data plus the time of emailing it.  For Photos it at least allows us to Save Image.  Also anyone knows of a way to rename the files once they are uploaded into the ServiceMax app? Mike MoninAnita Sathyamurthy

0 Likes
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Re: How to Export Attached Documents from iPad App so that we can Mark up and then Add back to iPad?

I'm curious about this - What kind of document types? are these external documents you attach to the Notes and attachments section on the server side?

0 Likes
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Re: How to Export Attached Documents from iPad App so that we can Mark up and then Add back to iPad?

I have Adobe Reader installed on the iPad and also Type on PDF and it doesn't come up as an option.  What iOs are you using and ServiceMax version?  The documents in question are PDFs and they are attached to the work order by the service admins in the office and the technicians need to open these up and mark them up with notes at times and then load them back up into the work order. 

0 Likes
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Susan,

Our Service Teams are using an App called PDF Expert on the Apple iPad app store (this is not associated with ServiceMax). We started with a Word Document which is used as a template in PDF Expert. You can edit PDF documents in the app depending on how you save it. when we email it to the customer, it's locked.

Once we get our Service Report finalized in ServiceMax we won't be using this as it's time consuming.

Can your docs be built into SFM Smart Docs?

0 Likes
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

John,

What we are trying to do is the following:  Lets say I attach a PDF document to a work order.  When the tech is onsite they would like to go into the Servicemax app and download the document and open it up in another app to make any edits.  Currently what is happening, we have to email them the documents and they use another app to make their edits and then email it back into the office so we can load the PDF back into the work order.  From me looking into the user guide, seems like only photos and videos are allowed to be uploaded into the servicemax app.  So I'm wondering how are you getting the document out of servicemax to make edits on it?

Thanks,

Susan

0 Likes
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

OK, I get it now - we copy  and paste. The App isn't connected to anything related to Salesforce.

0 Likes
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

John,

You are able to Copy a PDF that is currently attached to a WO in the SM app and paste it into the PDF expert app you are using?  I have tried the Copy option for the PDF but am not able to paste it into any app yet.  If you are let me know that would be great for us.  Just seems like a waste for us to be emailing it back and forth just to get the document out of it to mark it up.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Susan/John,

Correction.  Only photos and video attachments are supported in the iPad app when uploading. 

As John mentioned I would recommend looking into consolidating these reports into SmartDocs. 

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

These are documents (PDF, Word) that we scan here in the office and they may be building layouts or building permits, etc so they are ever changing depending on the customer/location.

Employee
Employee

Ok that makes sense. I am not sure on whether ServiceMax plans on adding the ability to upload files through the iPad app in the near term.  You may want to look into third party applications that have a tight integration with Salesforce such as GoFormz.  I have not used GoFormz but it may be able to meet your requirements. 

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Did you ever come up with a solution for this?

0 Likes
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

No.  If the techs need to mark it up they will either email it to themselves or someone in the office will email it to them.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Bummer.  We also have a work around to provide a solution to the same needs.  We have been using a program called shareplus - which is a app version that links into sharepoint.  We save docs in a folder associated with each work order and then the techs  get to it in SharePlus, open them, actually take them to Cuda sign for signatures and mark up and then re-save them into the folder in shareplus.  Clunky but it works.  We do this with the photos also so the techs can label them.  It does no good to have 20-30 pictures in a work order and have no idea what they are.

Currently we are getting ready to launch a new solution to the same problem, and it is associated with a amazon cloud storage link from the work order in the office and salesforce 1 in the field.  We are going to start testing it out in the coming weeks. Ill let you know if it works out.

0 Likes
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

We are using Amazon Cloud already but for Projects not for Work Orders/Servicemax app.  We were hoping that it could be tied to the app so that our techs wouldn't have to login into another app to load items.  I know that we have brought up the option of being able use an "Open in" option from within the app.  Let me know how it goes.

0 Likes