Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue: Duplicate line items on iPad

Highlighted
Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Issue: Duplicate line items on iPad

Jump to solution

Has anyone experienced an issue with the iPad app duplicating line items?

I've had calls from my techs that tell me that when they enter labor and travel line items, it will duplicate those lines. See picture below. They said it doesn't happen very often but it seems like it's happening more frequently now. For example one user said it happened 3 times in the last two days. One tech said it happened on all his work orders today.

We are on Spring 14.

Duplicate lines.JPG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Re: Issue: Duplicate line items on iPad

Jump to solution

Hi

Just to give some indication of level of duplication issues we get, here is a list of the numbers over the last few weeks:

RecDateError_MessageCountOfError_MessageDOW
10/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate2Wed
09/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate7Tue
08/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate8Mon
07/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate2Sun
05/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate2Fri
04/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate5Thu
03/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate3Wed
02/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate4Tue
01/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate11Mon
28/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate2Fri
27/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate9Thu
26/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate4Wed
25/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate11Tue
24/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate9Mon
22/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate1Sat
21/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate1Fri
20/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate2Thu
19/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate9Wed
18/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate11Tue
17/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate2Mon

We create between 150 - 200 WO per day, so its in the >10% but it is there.

Just for info, we have an escalation system for trying to stop problem WO's going through to our invoicing system, and duplicate lines is one of those escalations.

Thanks

Russ

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Peter,

We have seen this and I can't really duplicate it in my sandbox. I opened a CASE with Support, but they need to capture the logs/DB files from the iPad. If your users have an iMac at home they could capture the files support needs.

One suggestion was to ensure your users have the latest changes via config sync and or an application reset. george.piper‌, josh.trujillo

Highlighted
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Jump to solution

How are you handling the entry of each type of line? I remember seeing an article pertaining to this at one point. If I can dig it up I will link it but the gist was that your criteria needs to be clearly defined or the application creates a line for each type present. So if it is Labor, make sure you have it defined to only create Labor lines.

Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Each of our lines are segregated as such, Parts, Travel, Labor for the Record Type. This is in the SFM on creating these line items. The user can pick sub categories allowed for each of the record types. So we're ok in this part of it.

Thanks

Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Pete,

This is generally only seen when there have been changes online and the technician needs to perform an application reset.  It has also been seen when the criteria in an sfm (View, Create, Output Doc) has not been properly filtered, making it so the one line displays in each of the sections labeled for part, labor, etc.  When syncing online however only one record should be created. 

-Are the records being duplicated when synced to the browser?

-Does performing an application reset resolve the issue?

-Have there been any changes in salesforce or ServiceMax setup?

ServiceMax
Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Josh,

Thanks for getting on this thread. here's some details I've uncovered. Not sure if this helps or not.

Are the records being duplicated when synced to the browser? = YES

-Does performing an application reset resolve the issue? = NO

-Have there been any changes in salesforce or ServiceMax setup? =NO

Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Hi Peter

We were suffering many instances of this problem, it was due to the fact that i was not explicitly setting the WO Line detail field value from the parent, via the SFM map, but we were relying on some server based system to set it (not sure what that was), this meant when the field tech created a WO Line, and the iPad was in an area of poor connectivity, this field was set to some internal ID, this was because the iPad couldn't get back to server to get the ID it needed

The error looked something like this (from a German user)

DE_Error.PNG

We believe this would create 'illegal' record, which when it tried to synced back to the server created a duplicate line.

We then changed the map of the SFM, to explicitly set the WO Line Details, which meant the correct ID was set on iPad, and it didn't need to go back to the server.

This helped a lot, and reduced this problem by about 80%, bur we still do get them occasionally, (also we still have problems with long sync times, missing data etc) and we are in the process of trying to remove fields that require calls back to the server (formula fields etc) to try and improve the reliability.

Thanks

Russ

Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Hi

Just to give some indication of level of duplication issues we get, here is a list of the numbers over the last few weeks:

RecDateError_MessageCountOfError_MessageDOW
10/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate2Wed
09/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate7Tue
08/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate8Mon
07/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate2Sun
05/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate2Fri
04/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate5Thu
03/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate3Wed
02/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate4Tue
01/12/2014Possible Line Duplicate11Mon
28/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate2Fri
27/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate9Thu
26/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate4Wed
25/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate11Tue
24/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate9Mon
22/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate1Sat
21/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate1Fri
20/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate2Thu
19/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate9Wed
18/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate11Tue
17/11/2014Possible Line Duplicate2Mon

We create between 150 - 200 WO per day, so its in the >10% but it is there.

Just for info, we have an escalation system for trying to stop problem WO's going through to our invoicing system, and duplicate lines is one of those escalations.

Thanks

Russ

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Russell,

Thanks for posting these details!

How did you set up your escalation? A report?

We put a hard stop in duplicate lines to our ERP system in our integration rules. When a duplicate line is sent to our ERP system, we stop it and I get an email alert. If it's valid we add the item to the WO in the ERP.

We just launched Summer '14 so I'm looking at all of our WO details closely.

Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Hi John

We use a piece of middle ware called Talend, this maps data from Smx to Oracle, i built in a check for duplicate lines and if one is found, we mark the WO in Smx as an escalated WO (and not send the WO to Oracle), the help desk people will then go through each escalated WO, (not just duplicates, there are others) fix it, and then the system will automatically put it back through to Oracle.

We are using Summer 14, we launched on October 1st, we have had, and are having significant syncing issues, but things seem to be improving (fingers crossed), we have got some good advice from this community.

Good luck

Russ

Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Hi Russell - I searched the community for duplicate issues with syncing and found this post. You seem to be experienced with syncing issues from the mobile app so thought I would pick your brains.

We use the iPhone Classic Winter 17 app and our technicians create records in the app such as admin activities and parts requests.

Intermittently, we see that duplicate records are created in salesforce. We believe when the tech closes the app during the sync and opens it again later, but I've been unable to reproduce this in a sandbox.

Since your post in 2014, have you made any progress in troubleshooting or fixing this?

I'm reluctant to raise a case because I cant provide steps to reproduce...!

Nicola Griffin-Seaby​ FYI this is what we discussed today

Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

Thanks Adam Cooper​....I will keep track of this link and also update you if there is anything found internally...

Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Adam,

I haven't seen this in quite some time and seeing this on a Winter '17 App is troubling.

Is the created date/time the same? Seeing the time difference (or no difference) may help.

There's another thread (link below) that has some more details and the sync being interrupted seemed to be the most likely cause: 

I would recommend you open a Case with ServiceMax Support. 

If you or any users have a Mac/iMac, you can capture the data base which support would be able to review and hopefully see what could be causing the issue. 

How to capture logs using Mac System 

How to Capture the iPad Logs for Troubleshooting (Xcode) 

Duplicate Time & Material Entrieshttps://community.servicemax.com/message/2552?commentID=2552#comment-2552 

Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Hi John, yes I agree its very worrying, the app should handle this as part of the sync process.

Sometimes the time stamps match, but often not. First time stamp is when the app was initially synced (then closed during the sync), and the next time stamp is when the app was re-launched and performs another sync. But the data on the records that it creates are identical.

I've been hesitant to raise a case because I can't reproduce this issue personally, it just seems to happen to the guys in the field when they interrupt the sync. I've had cases in the past go around in circles for weeks/months because its an intermittent issue that is not reproducible.

Unfortunately we are all PC users here so I can't capture the logs

I may just raise a case anyway and see what happens

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Adam,

too bad your not using the iPad. It looks like the application logs can be pushed from the iPad app.

How to Transfer Application Logs Captured and Stored by ServiceMax iPad App to Online

Are you in contact with your local Apple business Rep? Maybe one of your users could visit an Apple store and they could capture the logs.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

I actually gave it another shot in our sandbox and managed to get it to consistently create duplicates on create. I have raised case 57557 with ServiceMax support and gave the following steps to re-produce. Will update this thread with progress!

1. Login to DS1 sandbox with these credentials (credentials removed for community)
2. Click Explore > My Tech > 1141 - Michael Horvers > Actions > Create Day
3. Expand the Start Day section and set the start odometer reading to 1
4. Click save, wait for the record to display on screen (which should happen almost instantly) then count to 1 and close the app while its still syncing (do not wait for the sync to complete!)
5. Force close the app by double tapping home and swiping up on the app
6. Look for the "Admin Activity" record to be created in the browser
7 Once its created, re-open the app and tell it to sync again
8 Wait for the sync to complete
9. Observe that another identical admin activity record is created, this is the duplicate. The app shouldn't create the duplicate
0 Likes
Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Latest update from ServiceMax Support is that our issue has been assigned to engineering for fixing, defect number: SMX042084

Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Hi Adam

Sorry for my late response, i have been on vacation.

Its an issue we never totally eliminated, the initial problem was due to using aggressive syncs in areas of poor connectivity on the iPads, it seemed that if a sync was very slow or failed, subsequent syncs would stack up behind it, often doing the same thing as some previous syncs, creating duplicates. When Smx updated their system, we were able to turn off the aggressive syncs, and adopt a sync on demand model, which pretty much cured our issues, though we still get one or two a day, which we can live with.

We haven't seen any recent spikes in duplicates, but we are still running Winter 16, though updating to W17 soon, so this is a thread i will keep an eye on.

Thanks

Russ

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Good to know turning off aggressive sync helped for you Russell, that's potentially an option for us. However, we benefit a lot from the way aggressive sync works most of the time so would rather leave it switched on for now until its the last resort. Thanks!

0 Likes