Did you mean: 

Password Policies on iPad

Highlighted
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Password Policies on iPad

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

how is the controlling of the passwort policies on mobile devices? If I am using the browser, after 3 months user has to change the password. How is this on mobile device, e.g. iPad app? Must users changes the password on browsers? Get they any information on mobile device? Technicians of a client should not use the browser, the should use only the iPad app, but they have to change the password every 3 months.

thanks and cheers,

Heiko

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Re: Password Policies on iPad

Jump to solution

Heiko,

I read this thread and started digging into my org. I have 4 users who have expired passwords and are still working with two mobile apps: ServiceMax Summer '15 iPad App and the Salesforce1 Mobile App (iPhone or iPad).

When the user logs into the mobile app it authorizes the user at that time. If they don't log out, then they can continue to access the server through the app. If the users logout, they will get an failure and have to have the password reset by the Admin or login on a web browser to change it. 

You can see the Password Expiration date in a SFDC User report: Click New Report | Administrative Reports | User.

I started to look at an workflow rule to send emails to the users so they can change their passwords and ran into a problem: the "Password Expiration Date"  field is not accessible in the Work Flow rule when I went to set this up. This will take some new fields or an Apex trigger to do a work around.

This should be out of the box Salesforce functionality

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Jump to solution

Hi Heiko, does your company have an Active Directory setup? We use this with single sign on Salesforce profiles. This way our passwords are controlled and provisioned separately outside of Salesforce. The users are prompted using external email alerts or are prompted on logon to email or a laptop with their network credentials as these are Active Directory controlled as well. 

I have no experience of password reset using the mobile device app due to the above. 

Regards,Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Heiko, Richard,

That's a great solution to use Active Directory to manage password policies.  The iPad also supports connecting via a VPN to your company's network, in addition to the Salesforce single sign-on.  So this would be another way to get the user onto your company's network and be secure, when being prompted to change the password. 

Here's a link to Salesforce's page on policies regarding password changes:  Set Password Policies

Thanks,

ChrisM.
ServiceMaxcrt_chrism​

Highlighted
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Jump to solution

Hi Chris, hi Richard,

many thanks for the feedback. I have no idea, if my client uses active directory. My point or question is, that if a user tries to login via browser, SFDC checks the pw policies and the user has to change the pw. I assume, that on mobile app, this isn't checked. In addition, there is no option to change pw via iPad app, is it?

thanks,
Heiko

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Heiko,

I read this thread and started digging into my org. I have 4 users who have expired passwords and are still working with two mobile apps: ServiceMax Summer '15 iPad App and the Salesforce1 Mobile App (iPhone or iPad).

When the user logs into the mobile app it authorizes the user at that time. If they don't log out, then they can continue to access the server through the app. If the users logout, they will get an failure and have to have the password reset by the Admin or login on a web browser to change it. 

You can see the Password Expiration date in a SFDC User report: Click New Report | Administrative Reports | User.

I started to look at an workflow rule to send emails to the users so they can change their passwords and ran into a problem: the "Password Expiration Date"  field is not accessible in the Work Flow rule when I went to set this up. This will take some new fields or an Apex trigger to do a work around.

This should be out of the box Salesforce functionality

View solution in original post