Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pop up Alert on Mobile

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Pop up Alert on Mobile

Hello.

We typically create Case or Work Order from the Installed Product record.  I have created an alert text field on the IP object and created a visualforce component on the page layout to trigger a popup message to display the text in the alert field when the IP record is opened.  This alert information usually contains some special instructions, etc..  This works in the browser but I was wondering if there was anything like this we could do on the mobile side (MFL, FSA, iPad, iPhone) to display a message or popup similar to in browser??  I guess it really does not have to be a popup message on the mobile but something to draw a little more attention to some special instruction needed for the account. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

Casey

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Re: Pop up Alert on Mobile

Hi Casey, you could create an and data validation rule (Setup within ServiceMax setup) that is a warning rather than an error. It would then allow you to acknowledge the warning and continue. I know you can make it dependant on if there is a value in your alert text field and only show when there is a value. I am not sure if you can include that value in your pop up error text. 

So at the least you can have a message telling the technician to go check the value in the alert text field. You could either put the field at the top of your section page layout or as an extra section for easy navigation. 

Regards, Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi Casey, to expand on my previous reply. You could make your alert text field a picklist field instead and then make a data validation rule for each picklist value with the text from the picklist value as the error message. Its a bit more setup and maintenance and a little less flexibility in alerts but would give you what you require in terms of pop up.

These pop ups would show when trying to save the work order, in case you weren't already aware of that.

Regards, Richard

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

I need the technician to see this message really before they edit and save the work order or even start to travel to the site in case there is something they need to prepare for.  I have added VF pages to my Case and Work Order layouts to generate the popups in the browser based on the alert that is added on the IP.  (I also have an expiration date on this IP alert so it only pops up if the expiration is not passed).  I started with adding this alert message in the email that we send to the technician when the work order is dispatched and I am evaluating the workflow to make sure they get this information properly.

FYI -  I am not really a fan of pop up messages like this since in the browser they show every time the record is saved so I am looking at alternatives like displaying an image with some text or something similar.

0 Likes
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi Casey, have you looked at the ServiceMax Pulse App?

How to Set Up Pulse Notifications (Alerts)

Winter 17 Online Help - Pulse App Service-Side Configurations

Winter 17 Online Help - Client Side Configurations Setting Details

It has a limitation of the number of messages it can send a day.

What is the Maximum Number of Push Notification Messages?

Let us know how you manage to resolve this issue.

Regards, Richard

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Tried it back when we were on Spring 16 and had limited success.. I will give it a try again.. Thanks

0 Likes
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

We do exactly what Richard is describing... we have an "Attention" formula field on work order that we place right at the top of the page layout so its obvious when viewing the record. Its only populated if the criteria of the work order says that something needs to be alerted. You can then have a warning validation rule that displays only if the attention field is not blank

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Thanks Adam, going to try this..

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Thank you !  Will give this a shot

0 Likes
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi Casey Palmer , can you share any updates on this? Did you manage to resolve your issue?  

If you did then please mark an answer correct or mark the question assumed answered to help other community users navigate and find the answers to their questions.  

Regards, Richard

0 Likes
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi Casey, Let us know how you get on. 

Regards, Richard

0 Likes
Highlighted
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

What we ended up doing since we already had a pop up notification on the IP (which is annoying if you have to open the IP a few times) is add an alert heads up formula field on Case and Work Order object that displays an animated GIF (red light flashing).  If a Case or Work Order is created related to an IP that has an alert note then this GIF is displayed and flashes to draw users attention.  Next to the GIF is the text of the alert note from the IP..  I have also added the IP alert note to the email the technician gets when the Work Order is dispatched.  Next will be to see if I can add this alert to the Pulse notification once it is decided to move that direction.