Users are facing an issue of iPhone ServiceMax Srping 15 app. The issue is, when technicians try to enter T&M from iPhone on a work order, the date Time fields in T&M SFM populate seconds randomly. This is causing time overlaps.
Is there any solution or fix for this?
Hi Neetha Avalakki
Thank you for participating here in the community.
I'm currently working on a similar issue raised by another customer. I should be able to provide you a solution very soon.
Please reach out to me if you have any questions.
Hi Neetha Avalakki,
Thank you for your patience in waiting for my response.
We have a fix for this issue on iPad and External Defect for the same is SMX013741.
This issue has been fixed in Spr 14 SP.
Unfortunately, The same fix was not released for iPhone App and I'm raising a defect for the same. Will provide you the defect number shortly for tracking purposes.
We use spring 14 and our users still have this issue with T&M calculating seconds. We have more than 80 users and all are affected currently.
we use also the spring 15 Version and we have still this Issue, also in Germany. Also we had this Issue in Summer 14.We found a work around. If this Issue still active, then we add + 1 min to the next start time. Of course that is not ideal but we have no other Solution.