cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Config Profile>Servicemax iPad Client>Sync SET012 to restrict events on the iPad?

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Using Config Profile>Servicemax iPad Client>Sync SET012 to restrict events on the iPad?

Jump to solution

Hi

As ever, trying to minimise the sync times; one idea is to try and reduce the number of events and hence educe the WO's seen by the user on the iPad, which i hope will speed up the sync times.

We currently have a 15 day event window on our iPad set up, 10 days back and 5 days forward, for various business reasons a WO may not be immediately closed, and the field engineer will still need to see these old WO's. At the moment they will see all old WO's from the last 10 days, including the ones that are closed, which they do not need to see on the iPad any longer.

We can't delete the calendar events attached to WO's as these are needed for time sheets and some other reports,

Looking at SET012 which says:

Event Criteria for iPad client - Use this setting to add filter criteria for events. Criteria added in this setting will get applied when synchronizing events between SFDC and iPad client

I was hoping that i could use this setting to show only a limited number of events on the calendar, and hence have less data on the iPad, the scenario would be that when a WO is closed and synced back, i can use a Work Flow to write something to the event, and then use this SET012 setting to stop that event being shown on the iPad, and then do a data purge to remove the old data.

The problem is i cant find any reference to it or how to use it, or indeed if my idea would make any difference to the amount of data on the iPad, or improve the sync speed, or indeed even if it would work, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Russ

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Employee
Employee

Re: Using Config Profile>Servicemax iPad Client>Sync SET012 to restrict events on the iPad?

Jump to solution

SET012: Event criteria must be specified as SOQL query where clause. For example, if you have a picklist field in Event object with the API Name Event_Status__c and set it to Closed when the event is no longer required to be included in the list of events downloaded to iPad, set SET012 to and Event_Status__c != 'Closed'.

This and many more details about Mobile App Configuration will be included in Online Help with the Winter 15 release of ServiceMax.

View solution in original post

Employee
Employee

Re: Using Config Profile>Servicemax iPad Client>Sync SET012 to restrict events on the iPad?

Jump to solution

SET012: Event criteria must be specified as SOQL query where clause. For example, if you have a picklist field in Event object with the API Name Event_Status__c and set it to Closed when the event is no longer required to be included in the list of events downloaded to iPad, set SET012 to and Event_Status__c != 'Closed'.

This and many more details about Mobile App Configuration will be included in Online Help with the Winter 15 release of ServiceMax.

View solution in original post

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Hi Meenakshi

Thanks for coming back, i will certainly give that a try, and its good to hear we are getting some more help.

Thanks

Russ

0 Likes
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Jump to solution

Russell

How are your sync going these days?

We have been using a number of your suggestions, which have helped but our first sync of the day takes around 30 - 40 minutes.

Strangely a Reset Application takes around 15 minutes.

What other changes have you tried to reduce your sync times?

Many thanks

Colin

0 Likes
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Hi Colin

We have made a number of changes, mainly around the amount of data we download, apparently the amount we were downloading was with in the specs, but it doesn't hurt to always try and minimise the number of records being downloaded.

We made some changes (minimise downloads, remove unneeded SFM and fields) a few weeks ago, and talking to the engineers it seems there was no wow this so much better moment, but more of a oh yeah, it does seem a bit better and it doesn't crash as much as before; our reset sync times are comparable to yours maybe a bit quicker. We always insist that they do the initial sync from home (on wifi), but the sync time does depend on the size of the customer, and their installed base on that site, though the odd time a large customer is synced through 3G it could take up to 30 minutes.

Servicemax advised that the engineers go offline when they are on a customer site, to stop the constant aggressive syncs, but going in to airplane mode limits the capability of the iPad  and so this advice is not always followed in reality, but in the test i did it certainly improved the app stability considerably.

This leads in to another thread here on the community, where i would like to see a sync on demand button in the app, so the engineer can control the point he syncs the data (when he gets in a good reception area etc.) without compromising the ability of the iPad.

If i can help with any specific advice than please let me know, and good luck.

Thanks

Russ

Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Russell,

About having the ability to stop aggressive syncs:

In our upcoming release (Spring '15 SP) which is due to be released shortly, we are introducing a group level configuration setting that can be used to turn off aggressive syncs from iPad. By default, it will be True for backward compatibility. You can set it to False for stopping aggressive syncs.

Technicians can do a configuration sync to get this setting value and then use Sync Now button in the Sync section of Tools screen to sync on demand.

Do look out for the release announcement and release notes in community for more details!

Thanks,

Aruna

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Jump to solution

Hello all - we are on Summer '14.  What are the optimal settings for syncs for the iPads?  Have a lot of complaints of the app crashing multiple times throughout the day.  Was thinking of removing all of the automated syncs so the fields techs have to force a sync to see if that helps.  Thoughts?  We are a couple of weeks away from upgrading to Spring '15, but I'd like to see what can be done in the meantime.

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Hi Dan

We never found a magic setting that made everything work, in fact the system still isn't great, its just that is better than it was, and the field engineers feel there is now at an acceptable level of problems.

One thing we found did give a big improvement was making sure that there are no errors in the download set up, we had one set up to bring in the products type against the WO, but as we use the site centric model there is no serial number on the WO for the product type to relate to. Normally i would have thought this would just mean mean that no product types would be downloaded, but it seemed to create a non-Cartesian type join and tried bring all product types down for all WO's; so it worth trying to go through all of your advance criteria downloads to look for such problems like relationships against null values etc.

Servicemax advised to go off line, while onsite, as often the mobile signal wasn't very strong, especially in the industrial environments much of our equipment is installed in. Most of engineers will do this if they see only a poor connection is available, even though we asked them to do it for every visit, it definitely helps with stability and is quicker overall as there should be only one sync to do. Unfortunately, the easiest way to go offline is to use airplane mode, but this can cause issues like lack of emails and other iPad system are unavailable, and some of our users have Bluetooth keyboards, which can not then be used (of course they can just go in to settings to turn off mobile connectivity, but this is not as easy as using the airplane short cut).

Aruna's message about the aggressive syncs in Winter 15 SP1 is great news, and something we have been asking for, and i hope will help us immensely as we will not have to use airplane mode any more!

Thanks

Russ

Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Russell,

Please note that the configurable aggressive sync feature will be available in Spring '15 SP and not Winter '15 SP. Winter '15 SP was released in early February 2015 followed by Spring '15 in early April 2015.

Spring '15 SP which will be available by mid June 2015 is a service pack for the Spring '15 release and includes some UI / UX enhancements as well. Release Notes should be available soon.

You can find more details about Spring '15 at ServiceMax Spring '15 Release Notes

Thanks,

Aruna

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Hi Aruna

Sorry, I did mean Spring 15, we started the new project on Winter 15, and the name has kind of stuck, but yes we are on Spring 15.

I look forward to seeing the release notes as soon as possible, i am really keen to release our new version to Prod with the aggressive syncs turned off, it will be a positive message to give our users, its something they have been asking for.

Thanks

Russ

Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Spring '15 SP has been released and is generally available now. You can find its release notes at ServiceMax Spring '15 SP Release Notes

Thanks,

Aruna

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Jump to solution

Is your field still using airplane mode on the newer versions?

Do you encounter "Sync Stacking" issues in the newer versions on Mobile?  AKA if you save too many work order records in succession in too short a time span - they "stack" and cause data loss?

Would be very interested to know - currently on WI'15 SP and airplane mode is basically a necessity when closing multiple WO's - in fact it has become the new standard.

However, as you pointed out, causes other issues - specifically causes the emails to not fire - as the Service Report PDF document comes in LAST, being that it is the biggest file

thanks in advance!

-AL

0 Likes
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Hi Aruna

That is great news, obvious question when is SP for W15 released? Its just that we are currently planning to release Winter 15 in to production at the end of June, would we be able to get the SP in by that time? Also, does does the SP have any other significant changes that would affect the app, say in the SFM design, or in the look and feel of the app, as we are in the process of creating training notes, including screen shots, ready for our end of month roll out?

Thanks

Russ

0 Likes