cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think about the new iPhone 6 and 6+ for field service?

Retired

What do you think about the new iPhone 6 and 6+ for field service?

The SmartVan just wrote about the new iPhone and said: "Folks in the field have reason to celebrate, too, as both offerings boast a larger screen. The 6 Plus is great for video streaming as it’s screen is 5.5 inches. The ability to complete tasks with greater ease and less pinching and swiping to minimize or enlarge the screen is also a plus. The phablet can still fit in a user’s pocket, though. An updated camera, more memory, and better battery life are all perks field techs should be happy about."

What do you think?

Message 1 of 9
8 Replies
Employee
Employee

Re: What do you think about the new iPhone 6 and 6+ for field service?

Still debating whether or not 6 or 6+ is the way to go. Feels like we need to be able to handle one to make sure it really fits in the pocket, which is a requirement for many  field technicians. Saw a guy camped outside the TMobile store tonight, so clearly many people can't wait to get their hands on one (literally)!

Message 2 of 9
0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Some of field service companies want to use the iPhone as their primary device while others want to use it as complimentary device.  With the large form factor, I believe more field service companies will look to the iPhone 6 and 6+ as a primary device solution.

Message 3 of 9
Highlighted

Personal Opinion - I can see the iPhone 6+ and other phablet devices being a primary tool, but expect that the iPhone 6 footprint may stay be a bit limiting for full blown service activities.  Especially, if/when a connection to the device for diagnostics, troubleshooting, calibration, testing, and soft configurations are required.  In these instances, I believe companies will opt for a two device strategy until phone/phablets are capable of performing these operations.

Message 4 of 9

Have to agree with Ken after living with my iPhone6 this weekend.  Great for reading, but still a bit small for interactive forms.  Some of the new accessibility features are very nice, with TouchID integrated with the appstore and an increasing number of apps to make getting into secure areas much easier, as well as larger fonts for us optically challenged.  Also like the double touch on the home button to bring the top half of the screen down to where your thumb can click on screen elements.  Battery life is very good.  Now if I can just get my 50gb of music working again...

Message 5 of 9
Employee
Employee

News reports I've seen today are that both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus may have an issue with too much flexibility (more specifically the 6 Plus.  If a person keeps the phone in their pants pocket, the phone 'bends.'

Message 6 of 9
0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Technicians using a rigid iPhone 6 cover can potentially solve the #bendgate issue

Message 7 of 9
0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Very true - and at least with iPads, most of the technicians use some type of ruggedized case to protect - sounds like it will be needed for the iPhone 6's as well.

Message 8 of 9
0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Checkout the WindMill Technician using a rugged cover for an iPad

https://www.apple.com/ipad/business/apps/images/lob_siemens_action.jpg

Message 9 of 9
0 Likes