Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad application reset after changes to SFDC Setup:

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

iPad application reset after changes to SFDC Setup:

Jump to solution

Can I get clarification on this? If changes are made in SFDC Setup, an application reset is recommended by Support to ensure the ipad and Service mete data is in sync. The point i need clarified is related to changes made to objects not in the iPad data cube set. I would assume that we should not have to reset the application unless the object is on the iPad, but is this assumption true?

Thanks

John W

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Re: iPad application reset after changes to SFDC Setup:

Jump to solution

Hi John,

In your specific example, you need not do any sync as the changes do not impact your iPad data cube.

Config sync will bring meta data changes like new objects, updates to existing fields, new fields to existing objects, new picklist values (where the picklist field already exists) to your iPad app if these objects are part of your data cube. However, you will also have to do a data sync after the successful completion of config sync. This is to bring the records/values for these new objects/fields. Config sync will only bring the definition and the subsequent data sync brings the data. Please remember that the order should be config sync first (to get the meta information) followed by a data sync (to bring the data) and not vice-versa.

Config sync works across meta data changes in SFDC Setup and ServiceMax Setup, as long as they are a part of your Mobile Configuration and iPad data cube.

There is no need to reset the app for such changes. Reset app would be useful when you have made a lot of changes to your data cube and want to get a fresh download so that all data not matching the new data cube definition is erased from the app.

jphillips@minercorp.com‌ - You can add the suggestion of incremental configuration syncs as a product idea under Customer Success > Product Hub > Submit a Product Idea

View solution in original post

Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

John,

I'm not in the support group here at ServiceMax, but what you are saying seems like it would hold true, with one caveat.

If the object being updated is related to an object or field that gets surfaced in one of the ServiceMax objects, it would be beneficial to to an application reset (or at least a sync config) when you make changes to objects/metadata.

I'll let one of our support team members weigh in on this though, if they contradict me, follow their advice

Cheers,

Ward

Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

John,

Ward is correct.  If you add a new field to an object, changed an SFM etc. then you must do a "Sync Configuration".   If after you added a new field to an object or changed an SFM and you still don't see the change then sometimes doing a "Rest Application" will work.  If that still does not work then last resort would be un-install and re-install the application on the iPad.

Also, if you were assigned a new WO but don't see it on your calendar then you would use "Sync Events" which will download the calender event and related objects which is quicker than using the "Sync Data" button which would download all new records from the server which would take more time to sync then just doing a "Sync Events" operation.

Cheers,

Mike

ipad‌ sync‌

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Mike, Ward,

Thanks for the response. This question is specifically related to changes in the Salesforce.com Setup (Not ServiceMax Setup). I understand changing anything in the ServiceMax Setup requires a Config sync, and changing Salesforce.com Setup (fields, validations WFR etc..) requires an Application reset. 

So here's more details related to the Application reset:

I add a new item such as a report chart to the Account page (we are not syncing the Account object to the iPad, it's not in our iPad data cube set). We are populating the Account details on the Installed Product &  Work Orders by using formula fields to display the account Name & address. I do not expect this to cause any problems with the iPad application. So the question is - does a change like this require an application reset and if yes why?

Thanks

Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

John,

In your example, adding new formula fields on the IP that reference the Account will be in your Data cube since I know your download criteria has IP's in it, so yes they will download to the iPad but only if the FE's profile has READ access to the Account object and they also have FLS access to those fields.  A change like that would require a "Sync Config" since your changing meta data by adding new fields in Salesforce. Remember, "Config Sync" syncs all meta data changes (changs made to Salesforce objects) AND ServiceMax setup changes.  You don't need to do a Application Reset to bring in Salesforce meta data changes--you only need to do a "Config Sync".

Thanks,

Mike

0 Likes
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Mike,

The formula fields have been in place, they are not new.

The question is related to changes on the Account Page itself. We have guidance from support that changes in Salesforce setup require an application reset. If I add a new field to the Account page that has no relationship to any ServiceMax object, do I have to do anything?

I need a unified answer from ServiceMax on this.

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Jump to solution

John

I recently had to add a formula field to pull technician phone number data into the invoice. This did require a "Config Sync" process. On another note, I am seeing some strange behavior when we upgrade the iPad to ios 8 and to the latest servicemax 14 client. When I try to sync data, events, or config after the upgrade, The program keeps throwing us out of the program. My work around is to go into a work order and back out to the sync. This process works about 99 percent of the time. The other one percent requires an uninstall and re-install of the app.

Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

george.piperjosh.trujillojason.marselis Maybe you can comment on Lanny's iPad issues.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Lanny,

According to what I understand you would need to do an application reset since you added a new formula in SFDC Setup.

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Jump to solution

John

I only had to do a reset on the configuration to enable the new formula field. I updated the invoice SFM template.  I was able to add the signature functionality to the SFM. We are still on smax version winter 14. The customer signature functionality conflicts when trying to pull the technicians phone number on to the receipt. I got around this issue by creating a field with a formula that pulls the phone number of the work order owner on to the receipt. When we dispatch a technician, the technician becomes the owner of the work order. The phone number is the phone number tied to the technician's salesforce account.

Thanks

Lanny

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Jump to solution

It would be great if there was a pointed way to update the iPad configuration without having to sync every time a change is made to one of the objects. We are constantly evolving and improving our processes here. It would be really nice if you could set it up similar to deployment packages like you can on the server side between a DEV org and Production.

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Jump to solution

I agree I spend hours resetting the configuration when I have to roll out any different or new functionality.

Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

Hello Lanny,

Get excited about the Winter 14 release. Though a lot of the configuration processes that you currently have in place will still be needed there will be significant user interface changes that will make copying configurations much easier and intuitive!

Let me know if you have any more road map questions and we can set up a call with our product development team to get some of the more detailed answers you are looking for!

Cheers,

Wes

wes.connors@servicemax.com

Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

Hi John,

In your specific example, you need not do any sync as the changes do not impact your iPad data cube.

Config sync will bring meta data changes like new objects, updates to existing fields, new fields to existing objects, new picklist values (where the picklist field already exists) to your iPad app if these objects are part of your data cube. However, you will also have to do a data sync after the successful completion of config sync. This is to bring the records/values for these new objects/fields. Config sync will only bring the definition and the subsequent data sync brings the data. Please remember that the order should be config sync first (to get the meta information) followed by a data sync (to bring the data) and not vice-versa.

Config sync works across meta data changes in SFDC Setup and ServiceMax Setup, as long as they are a part of your Mobile Configuration and iPad data cube.

There is no need to reset the app for such changes. Reset app would be useful when you have made a lot of changes to your data cube and want to get a fresh download so that all data not matching the new data cube definition is erased from the app.

jphillips@minercorp.com‌ - You can add the suggestion of incremental configuration syncs as a product idea under Customer Success > Product Hub > Submit a Product Idea

View solution in original post