Background Data Sync on iPad

We are running ServiceMax for iPad v17.10.030 and have recently discovered that once a data sync (or any sync for that matter) has been manually started by the iPad user, the progress will be paused if the iPad lock button or home button is pressed.

I have raised this with ServiceMax Support and they have advised me this is working as designed and a background sync is currently not supported.

I feel as though this should be part of the base functionality of the app.

Imagine leaving a customer site, the technician starts a data sync, locks the iPad (to conserve battery life or accidental taps on the screen etc) or presses the home button to check their emails, arrives at the next customer site only to find the iPad has not completed a sync.

What is the underlying problem do you intend to solve with this idea?
More flexibility around the usage of the iPad and data syncing capabilities
How is the problem being addressed today, if at all?
Simply need to wait for the sync to finish before doing anything else on the iPad
Product Area?
Mobile Field Service Management
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Winter 17
4 Comments
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi Joseph June​, is this now delivered in FSA?

Regards, Richard

Product Team
Product Team

Unfortunately not yet but it is on our roadmap. We've made a decision to focus on FSA mobile app's memory consumption which we believe is affecting performance and user experience. Once memory optimization work has been completed, we will continue to execute on feature enhancement such as this one. 

Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Thanks for the Update Joseph.

Fry Chef
Fry Chef

@joseph_june 

Hi Joseph, any ETA on enabling background sync?  Even though this is more or less a "training" issue, but difficult for techs to remember that ServiceMax apps is different from any other apps, that they must wait for the sync to complete before closing the iPad.  As a result, service report (document) becomes corrupted even syncing at the later point.  

I think the problem is more prevalent now w/ smart doc sync due to the slight delay from data sync.

@lisa_mercer @mmajerus6