cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data-Validation (enforcing data-types) at the time of input in Mobile Applications

Data-Validation (enforcing data-types) at the time of input in Mobile Applications

When recording data offline (using Mobile for Laptop) the Framework should already check (before saving or event-triggered on leave of the field) if the data entered by the user is valid for the respective field-type.

Salesforce field-types should be synchronized to offline as well, so MFL knows for example how many digits a numeric field has and prohibits storing of values out of range.

What is the underlying problem do you intend to solve with this idea?
Wrong data-types lead to synchronization errors when user tries to synchronize. It can mean a lot of additional work to resolve all the issues afterwards instead of being stopped by the system at the time of input.
How is the problem being addressed today, if at all?
One has to create validation rules for every single field in each SFM (!) - and update them in case of a change of a field - in order to avoid those synchronization errors.
Product Area?
Mobile Field Service Management
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Winter 16
11 Comments
Line Chef
Line Chef

What a great idea this is! We are waiting for this for ages! Thumbs up!

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

How many times has auto-correct messed up an email address only to bring up a conflict down the line. If they are offline they are screwed if you lock down that field after the signature is captured.

This is a no brainer.

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Exactly, that's why I was surprised noticing that such basic functionality is not yet implemented.

Fry Chef
Fry Chef

One of our big pain points; mobile end-users spending a lot of time dealing with data sync errors.  As a result, we have had to implement several builds to add “logic” to an MFL tool that lacks logic / basic functionality and have several more builds planned for next year that will display "alert messages" to the end-user to correct on record save vs. identifying issues at Data Sync.  E.g., end dates before start dates, missing end date or start dates – when rescheduling WO’s or inputs on labor or travel lines, debriefing more that qty on hand, debriefing more lotbatch than onhand, etc…..  We shouldn’t need to invest $$’s to build functionality that should be part of the product to make it stable and eliminate unnecessary admin to use.   I'm interested in hearing if validation rules are planned to be implemented in MFL in a future release.  It would greatly help tool adoption!  thanks...

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

I know this is an older thread but wanted to agree with above. We too are having to spend valuable time building 'logic' to prevent overlapping time fields and all the other issues mentioned above. Our legacy systems we are transitioning from all had this as standard and so it is expected we deliver this with our servicemax solution. philips healthcare​

Product Team
Product Team

Data validation rules that can be defined and configured using SFM designer and made available on a mobile app as client-side triggers (available offline) is available now. Is the request to expand the data validation rule capabilities to include additional types and be able to construct additional advanced validation expressions?

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Yes this is about expanding the rule capabilities and advanced validation expressions as my technical team is telling me it is not currently possible to perform the validation I am requesting as a client-side trigger.

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

From my point of view the checking on data-types is the point. So not the logical testing on validity of the data, but the technical correctness - e.g. only 10 digits are allowed for numeric 10 digits fields... This should be done by the system, without having to build validation rules for it.

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Exactly. Its not really even about validation rules, but about enforcing the data types defined by salesforce. E.g. A Text(10) field can only accept 10 characters and prevents you typing more than this

Product Team
Product Team

We are adding support for custom JS Snippets which can be used to perform custom business logic on the client side for FSA apps starting 19.1. We will also include a basic javascript API (which we will continue to expand) that can be used within the JS snippet.

Archana Krishnan