cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Apps - Warning before "Reset App" to inform user there is data which has not synced yet

Mobile Apps - Warning before "Reset App" to inform user there is data which has not synced yet

Currently there is a warning message when you "Reset App", but this is often ignored. We have techs who do not realise they have a sync conflict for a long period so a lot of data backs up and isn't synced with Salesforce. Then when the tech realises he/she has a sync conflict, they panic and just resort to resetting the app instead of solving the conflict. This results in all data updated since the conflict was encountered being lost. Sometimes this is a whole day's worth of work! We are working to educate the techs of this behaviour, but then I had this idea...:

When "Reset App" is pressed, the app should check if there is any data pending to be synced or any outstanding sync conflicts, if there is, then a very clear warning should be displayed to inform the user that there is un-synced data on their device and that this will all be lost if they choose to continue (perhaps quantifying this in the message, e.g. 5 record updates and 2 sync conflicts). If they do continue, then they can be shown the existing warning message, then if they continue again, the reset app will be performed. This should make it fool proof!

What is the underlying problem do you intend to solve with this idea?
Preventing lost data
How is the problem being addressed today, if at all?
n/a
Product Area?
Mobile Field Service Management
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Winter 17
2 Comments
Product Team
Product Team

Adam Cooper

I think this is a good idea to quantify the pending records upfront.

Extending this, I also think we can show up all records that were errored out due to some sync failure in the "Sync Conflicts" area. This way the techs can retry sync in smaller batches or sometime later.

Further more, we are mulling over the idea to export unsynced records out of the system before a reset app and allow an import once the app is back up. Thoughts?

Pastry Chef acooper
Pastry Chef

Hi - yes all good ideas. I think its really important to make it clear there are sync conflicts outstanding and I have another idea created for that. But having a warning when resetting the app that all the outstanding records will be lost will help to reinforce the point to a tech that may not necessarily understand how that works.

Regarding the export/import- if it was seamless to the user, it could work. But if the user had to select where to export to, choose where to import from etc. it will probably be a bit too complicated.