cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMX Mobile Apps - Improve the error "An unknown error has occurred"

SMX Mobile Apps - Improve the error "An unknown error has occurred"

Currently when using the ServiceMax Winter 17 app for iPhone, our techs receive this message a couple of times each day:

This isn't a particularly helpful message and is an annoyance for the techs...

From my understanding its due to a connection issue or interruption during the sync, which is usually fixed by retrying and it works on the second attempt. However, to perform this retry is a very laborious process. You have to click OK... leave the record you are on... click tools... click sync status and actions... click sync data... then navigate back to the record once its successfully synced (hopefully).

So, I have two ideas:

1. Instead of showing this confusing message to a tech... just auto-retry in the background and if only after a number of failed attempts, give a message to the tech with a little more info as to why it actually failed (will help with troubleshooting and support).

2. If you do have to show this message, at least give the option to retry straight away to prevent all the navigation steps mentioned previously. The options for the message could be: "Dismiss" and "Retry". If you press retry, it instantly invokes a sync data and hopefully works successfully this time.

Number 1 is the best approach, but number 2 would also be useful if we do have to display the message.

What is the underlying problem do you intend to solve with this idea?
Speed and usability of the app, including error handling
How is the problem being addressed today, if at all?
n/a
Product Area?
Mobile Field Service Management
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Winter 17
4 Comments
Pastry Chef acooper
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef acooper
Pastry Chef

Hi all, we get this quite frequently so have raised a case with ServiceMax support, case number: 00063797.

Will update this thread when I have more updates...

Sushi Chef storres
Sushi Chef

Hi Adam,

I know it's been a while since this happened, but do you remember what came out of your case?

Thanks,

Susan

Pastry Chef acooper
Pastry Chef

Hi Susan,

Firstly we received a build of the app with enhanced error reporting (v17.10.049). We trialled this and managed to capture this error:

This was fed back to ServiceMax to investigate, and this is what we received back from engineering:

Root cause:

================

The formation of query for Download Criteria related objects is missing paranthesis. This happens when there is an 'OR' condition in the Download criteria and the Ownership type is 'My Records'.

Nature of the fix:

================

Added paranthesis while forming the query to add criteria for Ownership type.

File(s) & Method(s) changed:

================

Class name : INTF_DataUtilityServices

Method name: getRecordsForPurging(), getWOIds(), getAdvDownloadCriteriaDefForIB(), getDownloadCriteriaRecordIds(), getAdvDownloadCriteriaDef(), getProductIdQuery(), getProductIds()

Class name : INTF_TxnCache

Method name: getModifiedDCnADCCriteriaForProducts()

Class name : SYNC_Utility

Method name: getDownloadCriteriaForAnyObject()

Impacted areas:

================

Data Sync - During data sync, records that are not a part of Event/DC/ADC are purged.

We were given v17.10.86 which should address this issue. But, due to some internal reasons, we have yet to be able to test and confirm its working unfortunately.