Today Migration Tool does not handle association of Salesforce Profile to Configuration Profiles. This is manual activity post migration.
From your experience:
1. How much overhead is this activity, manually map SalesforceProfile to respective configuration profile.
2. Do the Source org and Target org always have same set of SalesforceProfile and matching license type.
3. Typically maximum of how many group profiles would any customer maintain.
4. Have you ever felt this should have been taken care by tool, if yes the reason being...
5. Was there a scenario where target org had different SalesforceProfile association than Source org and it was expected to be that way.
Please share with Shivaranjini Gangadharappa your response to understand if this use case makes sense.
Any other feedback using Migration Tool is also welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Hello Lisa Mercer, Shivaranjini Gangadharappa. I'm a big fan of making the Migration Tool more robust. One issue with the migration tool is that the SFW Layout Configurations do not migrate and this takes about 20 minutes per Org to correct and validate in each of our DEV boxes.
To date, we have not had any issue with Configuration profiles. We only have 2 SMax Configuration profiles and really only use 1 regularly. This Config profile has the correct Salesforce profiles associated to it in Production. When we migrate new SFW's, they arrive in Prod correct so I don't think we are affected by this limitation as much as others with multiple Config Profiles.
Totally agree with this: "One issue with the migration tool is that the SFW Layout Configurations do not migrate and this takes about 20 minutes per Org to correct and validate in each of our DEV boxes."
This takes us a huge amount of time in each sandbox, especially as you cant insert a new wizard at the top, without having to edit every wizard underneath it one by one...!
Will an option that allow to insert wizard at any slot, or an option to select and move up/down help?
Hi Michael, Wanted to discuss more regarding SFW Layout Configuration migration.
We can think of migrating SFM Wizards and layout configuration to match source org provided All SFM wizards are migrated, if target org has any additional wizards in its layout configuration it will be over written.
What if the user selects a specific SFM wizard for migration, in that case there are chances that, the slot as in source org would be taken up another SFM Wizard in on the target org. In this scenario we can either
1. Replace the slot with new wizard migrated , wizard that was already listed will have to be manually added if required on layout configuration post migration.
2. or move the new wizard to the end of the sequence.
3. Do not allow updating layout configuration if selective Wizards are migrated.
There is no way migrator tool will get to know list of that are added to the layout configuration.
Is there a scenario where target org might maintain some addition wizards in layout configuration. What if we are migration from different org. Have you seen such scenarios.
Please share your thoughts.
Hello Shivaranjini Gangadharappa. For us, we develop in a Dev box, then migrate to a QA box, then move to Prod. Our environments have to remain in sync as we move.
With that path in mind, we will always update the new SFW Layout configuration in each environment to support new SFWs. Today, we do that manually, but we are hoping the migration tool will move the layout configuration exactly as is in in the Dev source org to the target orgs. So, we don't want to insert a single SFW change to the layout configuration, we really want to overwrite the entire SFW layout configuration for that specific object.
We understand that if there are additional changes to the specific objects' SFWs in the Dev box, that those changes would also move with the object's layout configuration overwrite, but we manage our development pretty tightly so that is not a big risk for us. I propose that the migration tool would pop up a warning message about the overwrite like it does when overwriting SFMs.
When we are manually configuring an object's layout configuration in our Dev box, it would be great to have "an option to select and move up/down" the SFWs in the layout configuration UI. This would be especially helpful for customers whose Work Order Service Report language-based SFW layout configuration contains 20+ SFWs representing each of the different languages. This is a common SMax configuration solution.
sfw SFW_layout_configuration ui bio-rad Lisa Mercer
We have mire than 6config profile. Here are my answers in respective number sequence:
1. Every time we create profile and migrate Prod or a new Dev sandbox is created, its painful process to manually map sfdc profile to config profile.
2. We want to migrate source org config to target org.
3. 6 profiles we have in our org. We are 3more this release for lightning transformation and partner planner community.
4. Yes, tool should take care to minimize manual efforts and avoid human errors in manual process.
I echo Michael Majerus comments above. Enable us to more productive with less manual steps.
Thanks for the feedback on profile association
Proposed approach to associate Salesforce profile to the Configuration profile is:
1. Salesforce profile already exists in target org.
2. We will search for Salesforce profile based on name only.
3. If a particular salesforce profile does not exist in target org, it will not stop configuration profile migration, only that specific salesforce profile will not be associated in target org.
4. Migration will replace/maintain 'salesforce profile' association as per source org for a selected configuration profile. Any additional profiles there were associated with the selected configuration profile in the target org will be removed.
Any thoughts on this?