cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better to use normal download criteria or advance download criteria?

Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Better to use normal download criteria or advance download criteria?

Hi

I have asked this question in a reply to another post, but just in case i would like to seek the opinions of a wider audience:

At the moment we use an advance criteria to download all of the installed products for a particular site, and the number of IP's that the customer has is directly proportional to the sync speed, so for 1 IP, the sync will be about 30 seconds (on WiFI), but for 100 IP's its about 8 minutes (some customers have >250 IP's).

So i was thinking, maybe we could use a normal download to 'permanently' load an iPad with all of the IP's for all customers in given territory (the US is our largest base, with about 20,000), so when a tech syncs all they will be doing is updating the IP table, and the rest of the WO related data can come through as normal, with out having the overhead of all the installed products.

Obviously the initial syncs will take a lot longer, but once the data is loaded it may speed up incremental syncs, what do you guys think?

Thanks

Russ

Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Re: Better to use normal download criteria or advance download criteria?

Hi Russ,

Downloading all the IP's should be fine as long as the total number of IP records configured to download is less than 30000. The difference in sync time between download criteria and advanced download criteria should marginal. It should not take 8 minutes to download 100 IPs. Can you configure download criteria for IP  and let me know the difference in time before and after this change.

Thanks

Ranga

Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Hi Ranga

Thanks for coming back, that is a test i am planning to do, but its quite a big change for us, so i wanted to get some feedback as to whether anybody felt we would see an improvement, or it would be a waste of time?

I have made some minor modifications to the download criteria, which seems to have suddenly speeded up the download (200+ IP's took 50 seconds), i am just doing to some tests to confirm whether this is the case or not and the success of these tests will decide if we are to test the IP download criteria.

Thanks again

Russ

Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Hi Russ,

As i mentioned earlier, there cannot be huge difference between download criteria and advanced download criteria. I think 50 seconds you mentioned is end to end incremental data sync and records downloaded through advanced download criteria should be less than 50 secs.  Looking at the following and fine-tuning can help in reducing sync time further

• Your event window configuration - Having bigger event window configuration downloads more events, WO's and its lines
  • Download Criteria Configuration - Is there scope to reduce dataset by adding additional criteria's?
  • Have you tried enabling optimised data sync. This should reduce round trips between client/server.

Thanks

Ranga