cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Field Limit on Activity object

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Custom Field Limit on Activity object

SFDC platform supports only 100 custom fields on Activity Object that include Managed package fields. Today, we have reached limit on our org and ServiceBoard Managed package is creating 3 new fields. The total count of ServiceMax Managed package fields is reaching to 14 along with 3 new fields. In our org Activity object is used many streams or porcesses other than Field Services. This is blocking us to upgrade to new version SVMX and Service Board.

The Engineering and Product teams of ServiceMax should understand the limitation on Activity object custom fields and review new fields created on this object. If I can't release 3 fields on this object then we are completely blocked to upgrade newer version of ServiceMax. One manage package consuming 14 fields out 100 is not mature design. There is serious need to review this issue and stop further more field creation in this Object.

Anyone is same situation as us?

@gabriele_bodda  @mayhul could you please review this issue interanlly and come-up with different architecture strategy for new creation on Activity Object?

Tags (1)
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Re: Custom Field Limit on Activity object

1000% Agree and have raised this point in the past as we struggled with the same limit.

Pitney Bowes would welcome some client centric thinking and development in this area.

Regards, Richard

@terry_cavender 

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Product Team
Product Team

Hi all,

Two of the 3 new fields ("version number" and "integration source") are required to handle the integration conflicts (e.g. concurrent updates, race conditions) that are inevitable when connecting two systems. The third field ("appointment status") is needed to manage the Appointment lifecycle status, an important new capability introduced by Service Board.

We fully understand the frustration, and we are very well aware of the limitations imposed by SFDC. This was not an easy decision, but in the end all alternative approaches (e.g. adding a supporting object) would have created worse issues around performance and governor limits.

Kind regards,
Product Management
cc: @mayhul 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi @gabriele_bodda , what package version are these fields introduced in?

Regards, Richard

@terry_cavender 

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
0 Likes
Product Team
Product Team

Hi @richard_lewis, the new fields are added by the Service Board extension package (SVMXSB). The extension package requires the main package to be upgraded to 19.1 as a prerequisite. But only upgrading the main package to 19.1 won’t add the new fields.

0 Likes
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

We should respect SFDC Platform limitations but still innovate. Can you give us managed package which can delete SVMX managed package fields that are not used and enable 19.1 SB upgrade? We could not find 3rd slot to free up a field to enable installation of SB Managed package.
0 Likes
Product Team
Product Team

Hi @smusku, I am not sure I understand your ask, can you please elaborate? We have started a review of all existing custom fields on the Activity object, but I highly doubt we will be able to make any change in the short term. 

0 Likes
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Hi @gabriele_bodda, Cut the story short, I am looking for options from you to delete unsed fields of SVMX Manage package from Activity object which are no longer needed for us or by your package.

0 Likes
Product Team
Product Team

Hi @smusku, for 19.1 there's nothing we can change at this point. For 19.2 we are investigating the possibility of reducing the Service Board ask to 2 extra fields, but it is too early to say whether we will actually be able to achieve it.