Highlighted
Line Chef
Line Chef

Data Loads and Look Up Fields

Hello All,

I am running into an issue with Installed Product Data Loads and satisfying the Servicemax Look Up Fields using the Data Loader.

I am trying to upload my Installed Product Base from our existing ERP system, but I do not want the extra step of appending all the Servicemax IDs to our database export, before inserting to Servicemax using the DataLoader.

I thought the use of a created unique external ID number would suffice. However, it do not see the connection between a unique external ID, and how to tell Servicemax to interpret this value so it knows to lookup to the respective data!

For example:

We created a unique external ID for our installed products using the model number appended to the serial number. Likewise, all of my customer Account numbers are unique. So I want to be able to take the Account number I use in our system, and have Servicemax have the interlligence to use this number in order to "lookup" to the proper account. Essentially, I want Servicemax to know what account to append to my installed product, using our internal Account numbers.  I do not want to have to use the (18 character number) Servicemax generated ID #.

If I have to use the Servicemax generated ID#, that means I have to add a step between my ERP system data pull, and my Servicemax data upload. I will have to append lookup tables to my data, in order to match my unique account/product numbers to the Servicemax generated ID #.

Am I missing something obvious? Or is using the Servicemax ID (18 character number ) the only way to append my data properly to the lookup fields?

Thanks!

Matt

0 Likes
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Re: Data Loads and Look Up Fields

I like using dataloader.io for the scenario you describe.  When you get to the field mapping, you have the option of "Lookup via" and then choosing from other fields on the lookup object.  So to map the Account lookup, you designate lookup via and then choose Account Name, Number, etc.

Line Chef
Line Chef

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply. I have considered using that tool moving forward. My only issue is the number of records I am dealing with for my first load. It will be well into the several millions. I know dataloader.io limits my loads unless I buy a subscription. Which I still might have to consider doing for my inital loads.

0 Likes
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Ah, right - the 50k/mo limit is low (it used to be 100k). The other

dataloaders I'm familiar with require the Salesforce ID. You and Excel

VLOOKUP might become best friends...

JEREMY MITTEL

Bolt Data Consulting Group

p. 785.375.4846

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 3:05 PM, mbrehm2 <community-no-reply@servicemax.com>

Line Chef
Line Chef

Oh, we are quite cozy friends already. It's a love hate relationship.

0 Likes
Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Matt,

I have to ask, is this a one-time shot or something you're going to repeat over time?

You are describing a data integration scenario.  If your answer is "on a regular basis", I would look for a data integration tool, with capabilities like field mapping/transformations, change capture, validation of data through lookups, creating/managing key structures, enabling data quality in the process, and keeping the process fresh/refreshed on a regular or even real-time basis.

We (Informatica) partner with ServiceMax to enable their customers to integrate ERP systems with ServiceMax.  You can start a trial that doesn't have row limits here:  Cloud Trial: Get Your Free Cloud Integration Trial | Informatica

Let us know if you have any questions.

Don Tirsell

VP, ISV Partners

Informatica

dtirsell@informatica.com

650-483-3087