cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Governor Limit Bingo

Employee
Employee

Re: Governor Limit Bingo

Salesforce can increase the active workflow rules per object limit to a hardcode limit of 300.

Some troubleshooting tips when hitting the Salesforce governor limits:  https://userdocs.servicemax.com/ServiceMaxHelp/Summer16/en_us/svmxhlp.htm#iPadApp/TipsforTroubleshoo...

Message 11 of 21
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Thanks Omar Rodriguez , have you had any experience with running this many active workflow rules? I would be quite concerned on the performance impacts of having that many active to evaluate and action on each insert or update. 

Regards, Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Message 12 of 21
0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hey Richard!

I came from SF Premier Support and the cases for request to increase this limit were a lot, the customers most of the time request the 300 limit and thats it.   Always there is a consideration note for the performance, but I havent seen any issues in my years with them.   Also, the customers are growing and SFDC need to grow as well, thats why they recently changed the time based workflow standard limits from 50 to 1,000 over all editions (going forward in new orgs and via case with previous orgs created before the change). 

SFDC are very careful with the governor limits and customizations in their platform, understandable, there are some examples where all the platform crashed for some customers orgs customizations (triggers to be more specific). 

When hitting governor limits, my recommendation its, monitor the behavior, how frequent, have some patience and gather some notes.  If turns in a big/frequent/stopping issue please open a case with the correspondent product support team (SFDC, ServiceMax, etc).  

Thanks!

Message 13 of 21
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

HI Omar Rodriguez​, thanks for your insights! I will bear your experience and suggestions in mind for the future.

Regards, Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Message 14 of 21
0 Likes
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Great timing on this one, we are consistently hitting the SOQL 101 limit when ever we create a WO. When we moved from Summer 16 to Summer 17, we were suddenly getting this issue, and have seen it ever since. We have quite a few actions triggering from a WO creation, but the system was working, then Smx added some more transactions in Summer 17 which took us past the 101 limit.

To get the system working, we had to remove the target source updates in the SFM, and replace it with a timed process flow. Since then, we have tried to invoke some other processes against the WO, like forcing it to do an auto entitlement check, but this causes the 101 error.

We realise we will need to review our own processes that are being triggered when a WO is created, some of which are legacy code, but that is going to take time and resources.

Thanks

Russ

Message 15 of 21
Highlighted
Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Hey Russel,

We've had similar issues in the past, few points:

1) Are you hitting the standard 101 SOQL limit, or the SVMX specific 101 limit? Managed packages get their own count, so if you are hitting the limit it will be PURELY custom code or PURELY servicemax managed code

2) Using timed workflows may help, but its likely from actual APEX code.  You can bundle the non-ASAP-essential code in to a @future command, which will run asycronously to the current SOQL count, get its OWN limit of 200 vs 100, and still finish within a few minutes. Examples would be: Updating the "Last Visit Date" on the account, updating data on the Install product record, any updates to the Technician record, etc.  Basically any "Related object" updates that will in fact trigger even MORE code once they fire.  Try to keep the APEX code fired by the Technicians to be strictly on the WO and WD objects

3) The Debug Console actually has some amazing tools for tracking what code is firing, recommend spending an hour on the Trailhead module.  If you can capture a WO hitting the 101 limit in the Dev Console, youll likely find some low hanging fruit that you can flip around no problem!

Best of luck

Message 16 of 21
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Hi Alex

Thanks for this feedback, you have nicely outlined our next steps, though we try to avoid coding where we can.

Our main issue (gripe), is in our previous version of Servicemax everything was working correctly, but when we upgraded everything fell over, and it was down to us to move some of our process on to an asynchronous basis, which we did to go live.

Now we are trying some new developments and we are hitting the limits again, so either we clean up our code, or try to move some more items to an asynchronous state.

Thanks again

Russ

<http://www.domino-printing.com/Global/en/Home.aspx?utm_source=Footer&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email%2Bfooter%2Btext%2Blinks>

Message 17 of 21
0 Likes
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

The problem with having too many asynch process is when we have performance degradation in salesforce. This would cause the typical 5 sec transaction to not execute for hours due to building backlog. Few things that you could try to reduce the SOQL counts on the objects would be to :
1. Look at SOQLs that execute within "for" loops. They are high contributors to SOQL counts.

2. Move field updates from work flow rules to code (ideally in the beforeupdate/beforeinsert portion of the trigger) so that the code does not execute multiple times and add SOQLs.

3. As mentioned on earlier comments, move to asynch process for non priority transactions.

Hope this helps!

Message 18 of 21
Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Hi Richard, sorry delay - Idea Created......

Message 19 of 21
Line Chef
Line Chef

At our site we have also been consistently hitting the 101 SOQL error on the Servicemax side. At every turn there is a new roadblock to get across. By now we've implemented deadlocks in all our custom code that is combined into 1 triggerhandler so the code can't rerun whatever happens. Postponed as much workflows as possible, limited the amount of svmx rules, sfm's and wizzards. This leads us time and again to the next problem. For the moment we are battling CPU time limits as well as SOQL limit errors.

Our main issue is that we use cases, work orders and events and want a lot of automation, this makes the servicemax triggers very unpredictable. We need this setup as we are in a mixed licensing story with the rest of the business. In this constellation however  a simple automation like 'technician confirmed the event --> update the work order status and the case status' can cause you a world of pain. If only we could disable the SVMX triggers and fire the servicemax managed code from a handler passing our old and new values. This would allow us to perfectly control the sequence reducing the DML statements and use the svmx trigger power where we need it most hence reducing the SOQL's. So firing the SVMX triggers NOT with every update on every customer field on any object would be a usefull feature for us

tips i can add from our experience:

- on the object reference side find your longest hop and break it in half with a process builder. putting the value across to the new object and breaking you formula long tail. This frees up a lot references. also rely on the SVMX triggers pulling information accross like product to work order, this removes the need to go from work order to component to product. Lastly if you are in dire need don't pull the name of the related object but use the ID you find in the object before. This works well for recordtypes, business hours etc. Do mind the deployability if you use this

Message 20 of 21