cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does your company derive first time fix rate?

Employee
Employee

How does your company derive first time fix rate?

First time fix rate is an industry standard KPI in Field Service and many organizations qualify work as fixed in different ways.  I'd like to poll customers to see how they use the system to derive the first time fix rate in their business so we can determine if our reporting solutions can help enable a more efficient way of providing that visibility.  Please share how you derive, measure, track this metric in your company.

thanks,

Irv

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Re: How does your company derive first time fix rate?

Hi Irv,

Wanted to see if you have gotten any traction on this request?  I will be looking into this further in the coming weeks as part of a project to determine an NPS metric rating and field technician/subcontractor scorecard.  I will be trying to see what data within ServiceMax may lead me to a reportable metric.  From a field service perspective, we are looking at "x" return calls on an installed product within "y" timeframe.  We're thinking 30-60 days.  Understanding that we could have a field service activity on the same installed product in that timeframe for an unrelated failure mode - there is also interest in determing repeat calls by installed product - but problem code (or failure mode, or resolution, etc).  Haven't looked into it, but even a basic COUNTIF function within the standard reporting would be a good start.

Employee
Employee

Hi Dan,

thanks for restarting this conversation.  I was hoping we could build a conversation around this topic to help surface some innovative ways of looking at how this metrics could be captured.  From the conversations I've had with our consultants here, there does not seem to be a standard way of deriving this for all customers.  This is because each customer will create their own processes to help determine if a machine is fixed "first time".  In your case, it appears  you're looking at using a time range of 30-60 days an engineer is not called back onsite for a specific installed product.   Some questions come to my mind in your scenario.  When work on an installed product is initiated, is there needs to be a process for identifying if the cause is from a failed resolution at some earlier time frame?  How long would the historical work be qualified as fixed before this new work order has been created?  There could be many factors that may skew your historical calculation/trend for this metric, would you want a recalculation of all time?

On a side note, we are looking at adding more reporting capabilities to the ServiceMax application that will provide more robust calculation capabilities.   Calculating across columns and rows of data like your use case are problems we're trying to address.  Stay tuned.

thanks,

Irv

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Hi Irv,

Thinking cradle to grave on this, initially we'd like to have our front line tech support group have some sort of notification that 1) this account has had a case/work order in the last "x" timeframe.  Then 2) the installed product from this acocunt has had a case/work order against it in the last "x" days.  Realizing that we have Case/Work Order history in the body of the work order, sometimes that isn't as obvious.  So that's just the front end "notification"...

There are some specifics about our products that can get to a very granular level, which then ends up either sending false negatives or false positives.  My approach would be to start general (count by account interactions), and then work towards a little more granularity until it doesn't make sense to dive any deeper.  Adding more reporting capabilities and calculation options would be awesome - but I'll admit, there are some basic functions that have been the topic of many a salesforce discussion, going on as far back as 2007!  That scared me a bit.  Basic Excel chart functions like changing the color of the bars on a bar chart...looking forward to more details!

Employee
Employee

thanks for the additional detail Dan.  And we do see that Salesforce has offered a few opportunities in the reporting arena.

thanks,

Irv

Highlighted
Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Funny how this just cropped back up today, as we were in a business review meeting and first time fix rate was brought up specifically.  Can anyone in the community provide feedback on the following:

FTFR = checkbox (on Installed Product record), defaulted to true.  If a new work order for the same Installed Product record is created within 30 days of the last work order, the FTFR checkbox is unchecked.  Likewise, if a Work Order Status of Incomplete is selected, it would also uncheck the FTFR box.  I was going to log a case, but I thought I'd post it to the community first.

Thanks!