cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to have Installed Product show/hide data fields based on the type of product family it is (i.e. Door, Dock, etc)?

Highlighted
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

How to have Installed Product show/hide data fields based on the type of product family it is (i.e. Door, Dock, etc)?

We want to customize the Installed Product object. We want to have custom fields show when we choose a specific Product Family from the Product object. For instance, "Door" and "Docks" are two family types and have different characteristics we'd like to capture when creating the  Installed Product. Each type of product might have 10 different fields of data and we have approx. 10 family types - that comes to 100 fields.

What we would like is that only the 10 fields that pertain to Doors would appear on the IP when we create or edit the IP.  Would need the fields to auto-populate the way I described it above on the iPad app as well if possible. Let me know how we should accomplish this.  Bottom line is we want to get as much data about our IP as possible and we just need an efficient and powerful way to capture the data. Mike Monin

Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Re: How to have Installed Product show/hide data fields based on the type of product family it is (i.e. Door, Dock, etc)?

Hi Susan,

It sounds like your are describing native SFDC page layouts.  As you probably already know, you can control which fields show up on specific page layouts based on the IP Record Type, so to do what you want would require specific IP record types so you could have a page layout specific to IP Record Type=Doors etc. I don't recommend having too many record types just for sorting page layouts but you could just create specific sections on the page layout that pertain to 10 different family types that you have. Another option, would be to create SFM buttons on the IP called Manage Dock or Manage Doors that would be active (not grayed out) based on a Product Family field on the IP and this would auto populate the data for you, display it in a clean SFM interface and works with Mobile.

As always, all of the above options may not scale if you have Product Family(s) that are greater than 10 for example then you may need to research if custom VF is an option.  If you have a developer, then you might want to write custom VF page that looks at the Product Family and builds a dynamic page based on the Product family.  Keep in mind custom VF does not work in ServiceMax mobile.  These are just a few things that I can think of right now but the great thing about Community is that  more people will chime in with more options.  :-)

Thanks,

Mike

installedproducts​