cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to add some functionality to the Finalize button in Smart Docs?

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Is it possible to add some functionality to the Finalize button in Smart Docs?

Jump to solution

I would like to be able to change the status of a work order to something to identify that the Finalize button has been selected. Does anyone know if this is at all possible - I have not been able to find anywhere to get to it?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Re: Is it possible to add some functionality to the Finalize button in Smart Docs?

Jump to solution

Yes, this is exactly what you'd want to do.

We added a step between Debrief and Finalize to help us and our techs keep track of completed, but unsigned work orders.

We go from Tech Onsite -> Pending Customer Signoff -> Ready to Invoice.

View solution in original post

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Re: Is it possible to add some functionality to the Finalize button in Smart Docs?

Jump to solution

Have you tried adding a formula to the smart doc SFM? This will perform the update after you save the SFM. Im not sure if it still applies if you hit cancel instead of finalise, but you can test that out and see how it works

0 Likes
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response. However, there is no Formulas tab on the SFM?

Gill Cook

Database/Systems Developer

Tel: +44 (1223)577941

email: gill.cook@incadigital.com<mailto:gill.cook@incadigital.com>

0 Likes
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Hi Jill, sorry I should have checked before I sent the reply. I was thinking it was a formula, but it was actually a "Target Object Update" where I built this. See here:

You could use this set a field such as "Finalised?" or update a status etc. Test it out and double check if this source update only happens if the finalise button is pressed...

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

*Gill! Sorry again

0 Likes
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for this – I think this will do exactly what I need. I think it does only happen if the Finalize button is actually selected.

Gill Cook

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Jump to solution

I was a bit too hopeful

If the browser is closed then no update is done which is fine but if the dustbin is selected then the document is not actually created but the status is still changed (as you thought might be the case Adam).

Is it possible to modify the Target Object Update to have some form of criteria that will get round this?

0 Likes
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Jump to solution

Maybe something is getting lost in translation? What is the dustbin you're referring to?

Could you describe the steps and associated statuses? In my experience if you hit cancel when creating a smart doc the SFM is cancelled and therefore the target object update is not completed.

0 Likes
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Jump to solution

Thank you for taking the time on this.

This is the wizard to create the document (Step 3)

This is the Target Object Update that will set the field Order Status field on the Work Order to be Quote Document Created

When selected the following document is displayed (I have cut out info):

Selection of the Finalize button then displays

At this point, if the link to the WO is selected, the PDF is actually created and attached to the WO and the Order Status field is set to Quote Document Created. If the browser is closed at this point, no document is created and the status is not changed. If the dustbin is selected, the document is not created but the status is set to Quote Document Created. It is this last bit that I am trying to circumvent.

Gill Cook

0 Likes
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Jump to solution

Ah yes, I see what you're talking about.

Capture.PNG

There is no correlating option on the iPad for the technician, once they finalize, they are unable to delete the document.

What is your use case that you're generating the document via a browser?

0 Likes
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Jump to solution

This is only done within the browser – this document is not created on the IPad.

Gill Cook

0 Likes
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Jump to solution

What you're describing is something that an online user could do regardless of whether or not the delete icon was present when displaying the output doc.

They could simply go back to the work order, scroll down to the attachments, then delete whatever document they like.

There are tons of discussions out there in the Salesforce community discussing this issue and unfortunately no good answers.

I don't have anything implemented myself, but one idea would be to add a trigger so that only PDFs can't be deleted from the Attachment object (it would have to throw an error). You can't do a validation on the Attachment object either. You would have to limit it to PDFs since smax uses temp files to generate the PDF that they need to delete afterwards.

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Jump to solution

It is true that the user could create the document and then delete it.

I want the wizard to prevent the next step in the process unless the document has been generated so if the user uses the delete icon because they don’t like what it has and want to re-generate it , they will not be able to because the status indicates that it has been saved.

I think I will have to add another button where the user manually declares they have a document saved which then changes the status – also open to abuse but probably the best I can do here.

Thanks for confirming that I cannot do this rather than me just thinking I do not know how ☺

Gill Cook

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Jump to solution

If that's the way you go, I would consider an intermediate status that enables that wizard with your buttons. You could have two buttons that run background SFMs (Yes and No) that either move the status forward or back.

It wouldn't hurt to open a ticket on it either and get an official recommendation. There may be a way to disable that delete icon that isn't documented (custom CSS?)

Highlighted
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Jump to solution

Yes, this is exactly what you'd want to do.

We added a step between Debrief and Finalize to help us and our techs keep track of completed, but unsigned work orders.

We go from Tech Onsite -> Pending Customer Signoff -> Ready to Invoice.

View solution in original post