cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a maximum # of lines allowed on a Work Order?

Is there a maximum # of lines allowed on a Work Order?

A few of my techs are currently using a WO that has 216 labor & expense lines on it but they're unable to add any more,  They get the "undefined" error msg below.

Is there a maximum # of lines allowed on a Work Order?  If so, how many and can we allow more somehow?

thanks

Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Re: Is there a maximum # of lines alllowed on a Work Order?

Hello Melanie McKinley​. We typically get the 'Undefined' error if there is some element of the SFM which needs to be re-saved. In the past, we have been advised by SMax Support to individually re-save all elements of the SFM including, Mappings, Qualifying Criteria, and the SFM Page Layout, then re-save the SFM itself. I'm not sure this will resolve your issue, but in our experience, it's resolved the issue consistently. Good luck!

Highlighted

Michael,

Thanks for the info. By your response, do you believe there is no limit?

I saved all the fields that you mentioned and that did not help. Do you

have any other suggestions? If not, i can submit a case and see if

support can help.

thank you!

Melanie McKinley

ServiceMax Admin Support

Business Intelligence & Data Quality

SKF USA Inc

890 Forty Foot Rd

PO Box 352

Lansdale, PA 19446

Tel: 267-436-6708

melanie.l.mckinley@skf.com www.skfusa.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Hello Melanie McKinley​. I'm not sure about a limit of child records, though I do remember reading about issues encountered with many lines. The 'Undefined' error was typically resolved by resaving all SFM components. If after resaving each and every part of the SFM and it's still giving you an error, I would ask support.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks again for your input. I did submit a case w/ support. Do you

think it could have something to do w/ our storage? Our data storage is

at 85%. Do you know if we need to archive?

thanks

Melanie McKinley

ServiceMax Admin Support

SKF USA Inc

890 Forty Foot Rd

PO Box 352

Lansdale, PA 19446

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Hello Melanie McKinley​. I don't think this is related to data. I think there's an error somewhere in the SFM itself. Hoping support can quickly narrow in on the root issue. Good luck! Let us know what happens.

0 Likes
Highlighted

OK thanks again for all your help!

Melanie McKinley

ServiceMax Admin Support

SKF USA Inc

890 Forty Foot Rd

PO Box 352

Lansdale, PA 19446

Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Hi Melanie

I have also seen this error if there is a field on SFM, that the field engineer doesn't have the rights to update in Salesforce, also i have seen it where a pick list value is being entered, that doesn't exist, or cant be seen (record type control) on the pick list. So in general, if i see this error message, i will normally check the Salesforce side of things.

Thanks

Russ

Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

This is helpful Russell Jacobs​. I did a search for the 'Undefined' error throughout the '18 User Manual and found only a few mentions.

George Piper created an article a couple years ago which does have helpful troubleshooting steps regarding the SFM itself. In another post, Xander van Luijk also suggested checking Salesforce field-level-security and for any deleted/renamed fields. It would be nice to have a SMax-composed comprehensive troubleshooting Knowledge Article listing the various reasons why a user might get the 'Undefined' error. I'm sure between PS and Support there is a wealth of knowledge and experience that customers could leverage when troubleshooting the 'Undefined' SFM error which, is somewhat vague...

Copying ServiceMax Knowledge​ and Anita D'Souza​ to put this issue on their radar.

For, Melanie McKinley​, SMax support should be able to run logs of the SFM and determine exactly the root cause of the issue which is what Knoweldge suggested for the user who saw this issue when attempting to add >50 work detail lines.

Related posts:

sfm​ error​ undefined_error​ troubleshooting​

Highlighted
Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Others have responded with the typical reasons for the Undefined error but on the subject of the number of WD allowed:

As far as I know there is no technical limit but we have found that it will be limited by the Salesforce governor limits on the objects. We have a pseudo limit of about 200 WD because of the number of triggers and calls firing from the work detail save action.  Some triggers/calls are nested and are re-triggered on save so we hit the SF limits if we have too many firing at once.

Highlighted
Fry Chef
Fry Chef

We have experienced the limit to be ~100 lines.  When we experience this issue "undefined" we 1st try to use the SF Edit button on the WO Detail Page and manually change the values that would have been otherwise updated by the SFM process.  Sometimes this helps to Complete the WO.  If this doesn't solve the issue, we split the WO into multiple WO's under the Case so that we can Close the WO's.

Mark

Highlighted

Re: Is there a maximum # of lines allowed on a Work Order?

Mark,

Thank you!  This is helpful.  I'm not following you when you say:

manually change the values that would have been otherwise updated by the SFM process.

Can you add lines this way?

thanks again

0 Likes
Highlighted
Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Re: Is there a maximum # of lines allowed on a Work Order?

Hi Melanie,

We don’t add lines using this approach but follow this process when the Field Service User or Backoffice User is unable to Complete the WO.

If the issue is that the user is experiencing “undefined” on the SFM page, they likely already added too many lines. At that point, we would split the WO into multiple WO’s which will then allow the user to add more lines to one of the WO’s if they wish.

Another tip that sometimes helps before splitting the WO is to Clear Cache (Chrome & ServiceMax) and ensure the latest version of Chrome is being used.

Mark

0 Likes