I was looking for an out of the box option to automatically update all Installed Products Child Records to be following the Parent, if the Parent Installed Product is reassigned to a different Location.
Do you have any experience either building a trigger to manage this use case or using a ServiceMax feature?
Hello Sylvaine Boyer. Out of the box in SMax, you can use a simple SFM Formula to update the Location of all Installed Product records with the same Parent.
To do this, you would need to first create an SFM on the Installed Product which would also pull in all Child records with the same Parent. (You should have this Installed Product (Parent) related list available, though it may not be on your current SFDC page layout.)
Then create an SFM Formula which copies the Location from Parent to Child upon Quick-Save or Save of the SFM.
From a process perspective, the user would search for the Parent Installed Product, open the SFM, update the Location in the header SFM page layout and then click Quick-save or Save. The formula will update all child records to the new location automatically.
I'm sure there are many ways to accomplish this, but it's nice to leverage native functionality that's quick to configure.
sfm formulas record_update field updates sfm features
Michael Majerus - Thank you again so much!
It definitely looks like the best option, however I am getting an error message following the steps above.
What can I do to update / make it work, I feel we are so close..!
Hello Sylvaine Boyer. Everything looks good from your video. Thanks for sending that! The one thing I noticed is that there were (2) 'Installed Product (Parent)' Child objects selectable in the SFM creation. I wonder if selecting the first one would align with the field which you selected for the formula. Seems like a mismatch between the child record and the field selected in the formula.
Hello Sylvaine Boyer. That strange it's giving you the error. Yes, I tested this in my org this afternoon and verified that it did update all child records as expected. Was the field used in the formula manually typed in or selected by scrolling down the list of Installed Product fields and selecting it?
We have seen this error message in the past when there are extra spaces after the formula. Deleting any extra characters, saving the formula and then re-adding it to the process, and re-saving the SFM resolved the error, though sometimes we had to do a manual SFM refresh of the cache as well and then everything worked thereafter.
It's still a little strange that you would have (2) Installed Product (Parent) children to select from in the SFM. You may want to select the first one, then delete the formula and recreate it again. If that doesn't work, then I would ask SMax support to look at your org. It's probably something small that's not lining up in the SFM, but should be fairly quick to resolve.