Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Predictions for the New Year: Internet of Things in 2016

Community Manager
Community Manager

Predictions for the New Year: Internet of Things in 2016

Community members,

Time to get out your crystal ball, or rather your field service thought leadership, knowledge gained, business acumen and take aways from field service articles, events, and planning sessions. Tell us a few predictions you'd make about IoT in the next year, where we'll go and what we'll see as an industry:

How will Internet of Things impact Field Service in 2016?

____

Did you know solutions are the most powerful thing in this community?  When someone answers your question - only you can mark it as a solution.
Help other members find valuable content faster - Mark Responses As Solutions and give out Kudos (Likes)!
Employee
Employee

Re: Predictions for the New Year: Internet of Things in 2016

My prediction for CY 2016 is that we will see IoT begin to take root in Field Service.  Like many new innovations, there will likely continue to be a flood of new entrants into the market providing IoT capabilities and a lot of companies fighting for placement as the "standard" for how IoT should be done.  Field Service as an industry will drive more innovation around the "how" of diagnostics and predictive analytics.  We'll be predicting when machines will fail and we will begin to see the infancy of a new way of performing preventative maintenance such as troubleshooting from machine performance characteristics. 

Employee
Employee

In 2016 IoT will move from being a trendy toy to an industrial standard. About 40% of machines have IoT sensors built-in, so it's now a question of adoption, functionality, security, etc. ServiceMax is able to lead this shift with our practical knowledge and useful IoT tool for billions of machines worldwide.

Retired
Retired

My prediction for 2016 is the ability to give a customer a tool to "Measure" their business. Build to measure, ensuring that ServiceMax is a tool that tracks field service activities. Building effective dashboards and utilising pre built dashboards ensuring a return on investment.

Employee
Employee

My prediction for the 2016 is the new advanced low cost SOC (System on a Chip) sensors that have multiple micro and nano sensors will enable better customer service since companies can monitor almost any parameter in and around their equipment now.  Combined that technology with the FCC reclaiming the cell phone bandwidth several years ago which is really driving ease of installations and cost effective equipment monitoring since companies don't have to have a hard wired internet connections I think IoT adoption will sky rocket.  I want my pool or hot tub to push an alert to me when the chemicals need to be added, when the filter needs to be changed and I want my refrigerator to tell me when the water filter needs to be changed and I want the option to have it automatically create a ServiceMax Part Order to order the right parts.  :-)  iot​ servicemax app​

Employee
Employee

Great comments Mike.  Beyond the consumer added value for IOT, what do you think about the B2B value add?  Does a company that is responsible for a product always want to know when something is broken when the contract/warranty is paid regardless of service?  When everything is sold as a "service" (i.e. I am selling you the capability to print but not printers) this makes more sense but that business model is still limited.

Employee
Employee

My prediction: cell phone providers, like Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, will create mobile repair teams in cities. Let's say you have a watch and you drop your phone, shattering the screen. Using an app attached to watch or easily accessible, you can schedule a technician like an Uber to come by and try to fix your cell phone.

Non-field service related: IoT diapers. Send an alert to your phone when your child needs to be changed.

These combined will turn into "Oh, I didn't see the alert. I dropped my phone and had someone repairing it. Sorry!"

Employee
Employee

IoT is and will be on a roll in 2016 as new platforms and tools will be born every day to do "certain aspects" of IoT better. There are several moving pieces in IoT and the real "enterprise" tools are just taking off. However, almost all of these platforms are focused on M2M communication, whereas the real differentiator will be to integrate the human factor into these platforms - I am talking of M2M2P (P for people) communication.

An IoT platform cannot be complete if it ignores how people interact with machines and as soon as the industry realizes how important this interaction is, platforms will emerge that focus on this "yet another aspect" of IoT. Companies like Servicemax can be leaders in this space - we already capture data related to the M2P interaction and if we invest in building the right analytics platform that can combine this data with M2M streams from "standard" IoT platforms, we can build the next generation IoT platform that completes the M2M2P landscape.

Again, the time is now to start investing in building an analytics platform that will move us in this direction. We can be the leaders in this space if we start early.

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

My prediction for IoT in 2016 is for the gradual transition of hardware from a profit center to a distribution channel. Similar to Xiaomi Smartphones and the Amazon Kindle, the hardware will be sold at close to no profits but the real revenue will be from new applications, consumables, or from pay-per-use models.

A current example today is Ricoh Printers charging per page printed. In the future, the printer can suggest types of paper/ink based on usage, and it can even be a platform with several paper/ink companies competing for your business.

Another example, when you buy a jet engine, you'll have the choice to purchase software upgrades from a range of companies (that built their product on GE's Predix "AppExchange") to optimize your jet engine for your unique use-case (such as better fuel usage in air temperatures of X in altitude of Y, or faster acceleration and better coordination with landing gears to land at higher speeds).

Highlighted
Employee
Employee

My Prediction in IoT is related to the Auto Industry. Some sort of Maintenance prediction based on usage. Currently cars have pre-set recommended service schedules based on time and/or mileage and have sensors monitoring the car's system which if an issue arises will produce a code (example: Engine misfires will produce a P0304 Code). Typically when the code arises it's more than often too late and other parts become damaged. Take it a step further, using IoT to gather data on the car's driving intensity patterns, weather condition, hauling weight, urban driving vs rural, and so on. Just for an example: This would allow for earlier maintenance visit for vehicles which are run at full throttle more than others and are not near the mileage or service due date. Auto's which are driven hard on cold engines, auto correction of air on tires (if someone turns more heavily right than left), and many other possibilities. Of course this service could be sold via a Service Plan at an extra premium .

With this type of information both the driver/owner and dealer can be notified. Dealer can take a proactive approach in scheduling service and ordering parts.

Maybe even have the car communicate, not only to the driver, but to the dealer that it is in need of a desperate cleaning . Possible upsell

iot autoindustry servicemaxauto​

Employee
Employee

My guess is 2016 will be the year we'll start seeing early adopters begin to think strategically about adopting IoT strategy and how it can impact their business...and being piloting projects to "test the waters".  As with most game changing technologies, the first movers will have a significant advantage in their industries against their competitors who stay on legacy platforms and business strategies.  Momentum will continue to build with IoT over the next several years impacting most business and consumer technology products that we use every day.  In the not too distant future, Artificial Intelligence along with robotics and virtual reality will dramatically change nearly every industry with particular emphasis on the Manufacturing and Field Service industry.

0 Likes

Great overview, we must find out who are the early adopters...game on!

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Great read. Thanks 

0 Likes