cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service BOM using Task Templates

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Service BOM using Task Templates

Has anyone built a "Service BOM"? Not a true Bill of Material rather a group of parts for Servicing specific needs. Wondering if this can be done using the Task Templates in a Service Plan (not associated to a Contract). Or can the Task Templates be used on a WO by themselves?

Examples:

Packaging: Lists the packing materials Products, Box, Inserts etc,

Chassis: Lists the associated parts such as Chassis PN, Manifold PN, Tubing PN

Thanks

John W.

0 Likes
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Re: Service BOM using Task Templates

HI @johnw , I haven't done this myself but did look at the documentation and it looks like you can do what you want but it may need a bit of customisation. I think a bit more information is needed about your use case though, so some questions...

Is the Work Order being automatically or manually generated?

Is there also a Case?

What is the specific trigger for work order creation and who is triggering it and from where (i.e. is a technician using an SFM on their device)?

What level do you want to set up your task templates? Will  they be associated with Products or ServiceMax Installed Products (Equipment)?

Is it a one to one relationship with the above question? Or will it be multiple task templates for one product for example?

You will probably need to use some code or salesforce process builder to achieve this. Is that an option?

Do you want this BOM added at Work Order creation or after some triage by a call center agent or technician?

Or are you looking for more a bill of materials style solution where the technician can mark which parts they have replaced? Or is it more a 'this is broken and i will need these 5 parts to fix it scenario'?

Basically I see no reason why you cannot use the task template part of the solution for what you are trying to achieve and exactly what you are trying to achieve will determine the best way to utilise it.

Regards, Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
0 Likes
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

@richard_lewis 

This process is on a Depot WO created from an IP.

We are using the Estimate process and would like to create Estimate lines from a pre-determined list based on the Product being serviced. 

0 Likes
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Thanks @johnw ,

Who creates the work order?

Is the work order manually created when needed or is there a batch of them bulk created or are they auto created?

what is the time between knowing you need a depot WO and actually using it?

Are the lines to be added on work order creation or as part of your estimate process?

I assume the product being serviced is the one associated with the work order and this is the salesforce product record you are talking about?

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
0 Likes
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

@richard_lewis 

The WO is created by a TSR or Admin. the Estimate happens when the machine is receive in our Depot Service Center. One product on the WO and yes its a SFDC Product. So there is a time lapse from create to Estimate.

It does seem apparent to me that we'll have to customize our Estimate process to expose the Task required parts and bring them in as Estimate lines.

Thanks

John W 

0 Likes
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi @johnw ,

It depends on how you want to do it.

With either option you add a new field to the Product record. A lookup field to task template object.

Option 1

- When the work order is created use code or process builder to identify the product associated with the work order and from that find the related task template. You can then loop through the parts associated with the task template and create yourself a work detail for each one.

Option 2

- When your estimate process is initiated use code or process builder to identify the product associated with the work order and from that find the related task template. You can then loop through the parts associated with the task template and create yourself a work detail for each one.

I recommend Option one and make sure that a specific type of work order is created for this so you can trigger it based on that. This way its a fire and forget action when the work order is created and you could also consider making it an @future method in the code. Option two is being done at the point you need these work details so the timing is more critical and could cause you a problem.

As part of the estimate process they could remove any lines they don't need or you could adjust your process so they mark the lines that they do need.

Good luck with your solution.

Regards, Richard

Note: If this answer answers your question then please mark it as a solution so others can find answers easier.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Retired
Retired

Hi @johnw ,

In addition to @richard_lewis's advice (thanks Richard!), I was hoping @shivaranjini_g @Anita_Dsouza @lacy_cotton or @amit_jain might have some additional insight for you?  I researched myself and realized this is not my area of expertise to chime in on, but I know our product people are always willing to lend a helping hand!

Also, be sure to @mention me whenever you post in the Customer Community. I got your email of course, but couldn't find this thread in my notifications.  So feel free to abuse the @mention of me going forward.  I welcome it!

@kevinpayne @lisa_mercer @brian_waiser 

If you want to get my attention quickly, please be sure to @ me.  Thanks!
0 Likes