Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronization settings: Download criteria for Work Detail

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Synchronization settings: Download criteria for Work Detail

Jump to solution

Hi all.

In our organization the download criteria for Work Details are defined as simply "All", which I believe means the downloaded dataset will grow and grow to cumbersome sizes. We would like to refine it to download only pertinent data but are running into hurdles.

I think it is only natural to assume that the work details we want downloaded are those related to Work Orders downloaded, but have been led to believe by support that is not supported behavior.

So I would like to ask you, the community, if you have any ideas for me, or how you are keeping the size of your downloaded Work Details to creep up in size?

Best regards,

Ivar

Message 1 of 7
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Employee
Employee

Re: Synchronization settings: Download criteria for Work Detail

Jump to solution

Hello Ivar,

I can think of a few things that might help you here, although I'm not sure any of them is the perfect answer:

1. From 'Frequently Asked Questions' under 'ServiceMax of iPad' in the documentation:
    1. When are child records automatically downloaded?  (Your work details are child records)
      1. When a parent record is associated with an event (on the tech's iPad calendar) and the event is downloaded to the mobile app, the child records are automatically downloaded, if the mobile user has access to the child object. Attachment records (details about the attached file) are downloaded if there is Advanced Download Criteria configuration to download them. The actual attached files can be downloaded on demand from the view screen of the parent record, if it includes attachments tab.
        1. The practical implication of this is that if you completely removed your existing 'Download Criteria' for the Work Details object, the functionality described above would still download the work details related to Work Orders which were related to events on the given technician's calendar (viewable on the iPad, DC, etc).  Be sure to consider the date range of events that you are downloading to the tech's iPad when planning which work details to expect are available
  2. Continued from 'Frequently Asked Questions' under 'ServiceMax of iPad' in the documentation:
    1. When you download a parent record on demand from Explore screen by tapping the download icon, child records are automatically downloaded, except for attachments.
      1. The practical implication here is that any work order that you download to the iPad using the 'Explore' tab will also have its work details downloaded at that time (even with no configured download criteria for the work details object)
  3. If #1 and #2 above don't solve your problem, you could consider using the 'Download_to_Mobile' formula method that is often employed when complex download criteria are needed.
    1. This involves creating a formula field on the work detail record which returns a Number (not text).  If the record should be downloaded, it should return a '1', otherwise, it should return a '0'.  In this way, you build the complex logic for the download criteria into a formula field, and then your download criteria just check that field for a '1' value.
      1. Your 'Download_to_Mobile' formula could check anything you want, here is one example to give you an idea of what's possible:
        1. If the parent work order associated with this work detail has a scheduled date time between 1 week ago and 2 weeks into the future, and the Work Order 'Order Status' not equal to completed or canceled and the work order owner is equal to the currently logged in user (who would be the technician attempting to sync) then return '1', otherwise, return 0.
        2. Then you set your work details download criteria to 'Download_to_Mobile' = 1
    2. A qualified ServiceMax professional should be able to help you choose the best criteria for your formula, create the formula, and make sure this is working as expected.  Please don't hesitate to get in touch with our professional services department or a certified partner to make sure that you achieve the results you desire.

I hope this helps give you some ideas of how to improve your experience!

Very Best,

-Dan

Message 2 of 7
6 Replies
Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

Hello Ivar,

I can think of a few things that might help you here, although I'm not sure any of them is the perfect answer:

1. From 'Frequently Asked Questions' under 'ServiceMax of iPad' in the documentation:
    1. When are child records automatically downloaded?  (Your work details are child records)
      1. When a parent record is associated with an event (on the tech's iPad calendar) and the event is downloaded to the mobile app, the child records are automatically downloaded, if the mobile user has access to the child object. Attachment records (details about the attached file) are downloaded if there is Advanced Download Criteria configuration to download them. The actual attached files can be downloaded on demand from the view screen of the parent record, if it includes attachments tab.
        1. The practical implication of this is that if you completely removed your existing 'Download Criteria' for the Work Details object, the functionality described above would still download the work details related to Work Orders which were related to events on the given technician's calendar (viewable on the iPad, DC, etc).  Be sure to consider the date range of events that you are downloading to the tech's iPad when planning which work details to expect are available
  2. Continued from 'Frequently Asked Questions' under 'ServiceMax of iPad' in the documentation:
    1. When you download a parent record on demand from Explore screen by tapping the download icon, child records are automatically downloaded, except for attachments.
      1. The practical implication here is that any work order that you download to the iPad using the 'Explore' tab will also have its work details downloaded at that time (even with no configured download criteria for the work details object)
  3. If #1 and #2 above don't solve your problem, you could consider using the 'Download_to_Mobile' formula method that is often employed when complex download criteria are needed.
    1. This involves creating a formula field on the work detail record which returns a Number (not text).  If the record should be downloaded, it should return a '1', otherwise, it should return a '0'.  In this way, you build the complex logic for the download criteria into a formula field, and then your download criteria just check that field for a '1' value.
      1. Your 'Download_to_Mobile' formula could check anything you want, here is one example to give you an idea of what's possible:
        1. If the parent work order associated with this work detail has a scheduled date time between 1 week ago and 2 weeks into the future, and the Work Order 'Order Status' not equal to completed or canceled and the work order owner is equal to the currently logged in user (who would be the technician attempting to sync) then return '1', otherwise, return 0.
        2. Then you set your work details download criteria to 'Download_to_Mobile' = 1
    2. A qualified ServiceMax professional should be able to help you choose the best criteria for your formula, create the formula, and make sure this is working as expected.  Please don't hesitate to get in touch with our professional services department or a certified partner to make sure that you achieve the results you desire.

I hope this helps give you some ideas of how to improve your experience!

Very Best,

-Dan

Message 2 of 7
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Jump to solution

You sir, are a lifesaver!

Thank you. I will start working on trying these out.

Message 3 of 7
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Jump to solution

Hi Ivar,

Fully agree with Bennett. We are using a formula as follows which allows a limited download based on time and ZIP code:

at Work Order level:

if( text( SVMXC__Order_Status__c) <> 'Closed' && text( SVMXC__Order_Status__c) <> 'Canceled' || (today() - datevalue(SVMXC__Closed_On__c)) <= 365, SVMXC__Zip__c, 'false')

at Work Detail level: SVMXC__Service_Order__r.Download_to_Mobile__c

With new options in Spring '16 release we may change to a territory-based approach instead of ZIP code.

Regards,

Christian

Message 4 of 7
Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

It's worth noting that our professional services team recommends against referencing a formula within these formulas.  So, as an example, you should *NOT* have a Download_to_Mobile formula on your Work Detail records that references the 'Download_to_Mobile' formula on the parent Work Order, or the 'Download_to_Mobile' formula on the Case associated with the Work Details parent work order formula.  My understanding is that this can lead to significant performance degradation in the sync process.

Message 5 of 7
0 Likes
Highlighted
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Jump to solution

Dear Daniel,

Our solution was implemented by ServiceMax Professional Services. We are experiencing performance issues in the sync process indeed and I will therefore immeditately rewrite the formula following your recommendation.

Regards,

Christian

Message 6 of 7
0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

Just to be clear, the formula you showed above IS in line with the recommendation.  You are not referencing any formulas inside your download to mobile formula that I can see.  It was just a general statement I wanted to be here on the thread for any future visitors.

Very Best,

-Dan

Message 7 of 7