Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminology: "Line Items" or "Sections?"

Highlighted
Product Team
Product Team

Terminology: "Line Items" or "Sections?"

Jump to solution

We're thinking about the language we use in our apps and wondering which term makes more sense to describe the part of the work order app that collects information about Parts, Labor, Expenses, etc.

- "Line Items"

- "Sections"

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Re: Terminology: "Line Items" or "Sections?"

Jump to solution

Hi Doug

These are the billable elements for your work order regardless of if you actually bill for them. Line items seems more logical to me therefore. Alternatively you could make it similar to the object name and call them work details or work order details. The latter is what we do. 

Regards, Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Jump to solution

Hi Doug

These are the billable elements for your work order regardless of if you actually bill for them. Line items seems more logical to me therefore. Alternatively you could make it similar to the object name and call them work details or work order details. The latter is what we do. 

Regards, Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

I agree, line items seems more logical.

Highlighted
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Jump to solution

We call them Work Details, both because it is what the object is called and also because it is the detail of the work done in respect to labor, parts and expenses. And for us they are not actually the billable elements, but rather we use them to collect all the costs on a work order.  Our billing is then figured separate. 

Highlighted
Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Jump to solution
hi Doug,

We call the either by their respective line type, labor lines, parts lines etc, or just lines.  

'Item' infers something physical, which a labor line is not of course. 

Mark

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Doug, Mark,

Thanks for posting this, it's a great question that others I'm sure have had as well. 

I would agree that line item makes more sense and that is what is typically done in the field elsewhere from other environments I have seen. 

Thanks,

ChrisM.

crt_chrism​

Highlighted
Product Team
Product Team

Jump to solution

Thanks everyone for your answers. I think "Line Items" probably makes the most sense. One challenge is that we include installed products as lines in some implementations, when there are multiple products on a work order.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Jump to solution

Hi Doug

'Work details' may solve that problem then as labour, Travel, parts and installed products are all details related to the work that was done, is being done. 

Regards, Richard

Highlighted
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Jump to solution

I should go for Work Details. Line items can be everything. Work Details says more about the work like labor, travel and consumed parts.

Kind Regards,  

Hans van Mil
Senior CRM Solution Consultant ServiceMax | Group IT

Email: hans.vanmil@dormakaba.com