cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's better: Having ServiceMax to perform the upgrade to our production or do it ourselves?

Highlighted
Fry Chef
Fry Chef

What's better: Having ServiceMax to perform the upgrade to our production or do it ourselves?

Hello everyone.  As our company is upgrading our ServiceMax to the latest version (Summer '15), I want to gauge the community on whether to do it ourselves or to have ServiceMax do the job for us (at no cost).  What are some of the pros and cons in choosing either option?

Thanks and cheers,

Alex

0 Likes
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Re: What's better: Having ServiceMax to perform the upgrade to our production or do it ourselves?

Hi Alex,

The only downside to ServiceMax doing the upgrade is maybe a slight loss of flexibility. However I recommend any upgrade is part of a release plan with regression testing etc so would be planned in advance, there I wouldn't anticipate this would be much of a concern.  We always use ServiceMax to upgrade our Production environment and four full copy Sandboxes. 

Regards

Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Re: What's better: Having ServiceMax to perform the upgrade to our production or do it ourselves?

Richard, thanks for the response.

0 Likes
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

We started with ServiceMax doing our upgrades but the last few have been completed by our internal team, give me a shout if you would like to discuss with them regarding lessons learned

cheers

Tye

Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Hi Tye, sorry for the delayed response.  However it would be wonderful if you can provide some insights on the following:

1. As our ServiceMax is highly customized, mainly we do not use the Dispatch Console.  Instead, we use a combination of third party extensions and custom Service Flows.  This is our first time performing an upgrade to our ServiceMax, and we are not sure if and how the folks at ServiceMax deal with situations like these.  Finally and most importantly, if we let the ServiceMax techs to do the upgrade, will they additionally ensure that everything works as normal afterwards?

2. What made you to switch to in house for your last few upgrades?

I look forward to your response and Happy New Year!

Alex

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Alexander Ho

Thank you for posting here in the community.

I understand that this community post has been done to know the views of different customers on pros and cons in choosing to Upgrade the org by yourself or by ServiceMax Support Team.

I am hereby sharing an URL of a Training video posted on Community, which would be useful if you are performing the upgrade by yourself:

http://community.servicemax.com/videos/1098

The course in the video walks you through the steps to upgrade your current instance of Salesforce to a newer version of ServiceMax.

The two steps are:

1) Install ServiceMax Package

2) Install ServiceMax Default Configuration

Cheers,

Younus Shariff

crt_younus​ crt_younuss​