Checking Validations on Linked Records

Checking Validations on Linked Records

Ability to save linked records    

How is the problem being addressed today, if at all?
User are trained to regularly perform a Quick Save after editing a small number of linked records to check the validations but is prone to error and wastes a lot of time recovering from a mistake.
Product Area?
Mobile Field Service Management Work Order Management
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Summer 16
2 Comments
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

HI Mark Taylor​, Can you confirm if this is a ServiceMax data validation rule you are talking about? I assume your scenario is similar to one work detail record out of 10 work detail records has an issue and when you save the work order (in an SFM that exists to from Work Order create multiple Work Details) it fires the validation rule for all work details and you cannot tell which caused the issue?

I think from your idea that what you are requesting is the ability to individually save linked records. I am not sure if there is a way to do this by redesigning the way you enter these linked records?

It does seem to me that what would be helpful with these linked records is for each ServiceMax data validation rule to allow you to put a merge field into the error message. You could make this the record name.

Regards, Richard

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Hi Richard,  Yes it is in relation to Smax validation rules and particularly when offline using the iPad.

There are a number of potential solutions;

- Auto quick save when the linked record loses the focus. The validation will fire automatically and hence will apply to just that one record.

- Have a Save button on the extended edit page for the linked records.

- Show which record(s) caused the error from the validation when they fire.

R/Mark