cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expanding a Time Sheet's capabilities to support Users in different time zones.

Having users in different time zones have been making our time entries associated to the wrong day of the week. The timesheet manager process that is provided by ServiceMax executes based on the running user's time zone and we have technicians globally. Our team in New Zealand is a day ahead of us and we are using their time zone which populates our US time entries a day ahead.

What is the underlying problem do you intend to solve with this idea?
Having the proper data captured in reports. Having accurate billable time sheets for our employees.
How is the problem being addressed today, if at all?
We are manually updating the running user's timezone to the appropriate option 3 times a day when the autofill part of the timesheet process fires.
Product Area?
Communities Mobile Field Service Management Reporting & Analytics Scheduling & Dispatch Work Order Management
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Winter 17
6 Comments
Employee
Employee
Fry Chef
Fry Chef

We are facing exactly the same issue : we would like to have weeks starting by Monday, even if my Field Engineer is located in New Zealand or in USA. Today we have Timesheet weeks starting by Sunday or by Monday depending on the day the Timesheet scheduler runs in combination with the timezone. we have not found any workaround at the moment.

We should be able to define a fixed structure of week as additional feature of what is proposed today : we are not using Working hours, breaking hours as our Technician can be sent in any location in the world to not be blocked by Time zones, and we are struggled with Time zones in Timesheet management.

Fry Chef
Fry Chef

My solution was achievable with Process Builder.
The PB is updating the running user's Timezone/Locale 3x a day(to support 3 time zones). I created a timesheet process just for the running user who is also the scheduler. That leaves us with 4-time sheet engines. There's a process already changing the owner of timesheets to their respective FSR or User. My process fires when a timesheet is created for the running user. Updating the Timezone/Locale on the 12th, 14th, 16th hour after its created date/time. Then it will fire every 24 hrs from those 3 sets of times. So it fires on the 36th, 38th, 40th, 60th, 62nd, 64th hour and so on till the 7th day. With those two hour windows, I have the timesheet engines running their fill function in between. So they fire on the 13th, 15th, and 17th hour. We created working hours for each region and set them to 24hrs. Since a time sheet is created every week, the process carries over. The one downfall is having to do some clean up on the empty timesheets that it will create over time, which I will create a trigger to delete them.

Now it sounds like you have users being dispatched globally. Our users are global, but they stay within their territories. However, from time to time we do have a few techs that do go outside of their territories. When that happens our times will be off, but that's better than the alternative option of manually updating the timezone/locale daily. You can always manually change the timezone/locale outside of the firing window for those exceptions without interrupting the process. It'll be annoying though because you will have to hit the run engine button for that user's timesheet. Delete the entries for the users it didn't apply to since it fires for everyone with that profile, then the PB catches the right times when it fires as scheduled. Does that make sense? Maybe you can apply a similar process. Hope it helps!

Product Team
Product Team
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Hi All,

I'm updating this idea to 'under consideration' because I believe we are looking into options for resolving a very similar issue to what is described above. 

@shyam_hm - tagging you on this idea because I believe it overlaps with our enhancement considerations for other customers. 

Product Team
Product Team
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi All, 

An enhancement to address this issue has been delivered in the SVMX 19.2 Release. The enhancement ensures that the timesheets daily summary populates with correct day information, even if an admin user who is in a different time zone from the technician user accesses the summary.

This enhancement has also been backported to 18.3 and 19.1 Releases. 

Regards,

Lacy Cotton-Hodgson

Fry Chef
Fry Chef
Hey @lacy_cotton, I'm glad to hear about this new release. Is there a link to any documentation that we could use for configuring said enhancement, or is this update code related off the scene? Much Obliged, Victor