cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help customers assess the risks of installing an Interim Build (Patch)

We are considering upgrading our server version to an interim build (patch) to fix a high-priority issue. It is presently resource-intensive to arrive at a precise list of all defects addressed within that build, as well as any prior builds back to our present server version- since builds are cumulative. I would like the 'Interim Build' information to be searchable and sortable so that it is easy to assess the impacts and risk for a given upgrade. I would also like this information to be easily accessible from the SMax Community similar to the 'Mobile Releases' page.

This becomes very important in order to assess the business risk for an interim build upgrade and is also extremely helpful in targeting key areas for QA and business user testing in sandbox(es). We believe that if we can isolate the specific functionality affected, we can save valuable testing time and speed up the rate at which we upgrade.

For the patch we are assessing, we reviewed and analyzed (40) SMax cases to determine whether there was potential risk or necessary testing for a certain platform functionality. Assessing the cases took less than (2) hours. Identifying those (40) cases took more than (3) hours. It included copying and pasting to Excel, then performing multiple sorting operations which became difficult because of the merged fields resulting from the paste to Excel. Pasting from Excel rendered (4110) rows. After sorting and deleting, we now have (90) actionable rows to review. All in all, this exercise took 6 hours in order to adequately assess the patch's risk for our validated environment.

I would prefer to do this filtering directly within the Community, first filtering for the server version and build, then identifying the upgrade version and arriving at a list of all defects addressed in a concise list. The data is there, the sorting tools are not yet available to the end customer.

Condensed results in Excel:

2017-09-26_16-46-54.jpg

Lisa MercerChuck MeredithBrian WaiserJosh Trujillo

What is the underlying problem do you intend to solve with this idea?
A way to speed-up and de-risk upgrades. This would drive platform adoption and decrease the impacts of defects to customers.
Product Area?
Communities Other
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Summer 16
8 Comments
Customer Success Team
Customer Success Team

@ashish_agrawal @george_piper   @kevinfrench  @deirdre_yee  Would one of you be able to review and address this one?  Thanks!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks @lisa_mercer  for @mentioning me and Thank you @mmajerus6 for submitting this!! It's super interesting and a really compelling idea. I haven't been directly involved with defect management or communications before, so I'm going to need to turn to my support focused colleagues for insight into the communications plans around those.

Let me make a few inquiries and see what I can find out. Thanks!

Staff Chef
Staff Chef
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Please keep #PitneyBowes in the loop on this idea.

Product Team
Product Team

@mousumi Can you add your perspective on this? Thanks

Product Team
Product Team
Status changed to: Delivered

We are including additional information about fixes and patches on our new help site - help.servicemax.com.

Customer Success Team
Customer Success Team

@doug_vankirk   Can you please post the direct link to the cumulative fixes and patches documentation?    

And is this only for 19.1 and forward?  How do customers obtain this information for earlier releases?  (For example 18.3?)

Thanks!

Customer Success Team
Customer Success Team

@doug_vankirk   Following up on the asks above.  Thanks!