Identify where the user is operating from

Identify where the user is operating from

Need a way to know how the user is accessing the platform, on-line or offline.

Need this so that I can use it to enable/disable wizards and SFMs and hence target them according to the platform the user is on, as the wizards and and actions are getting cluttered with unnecessary options on each platform.

Product Area?
IoT Returns Management & Depot Repair
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Summer 16
13 Comments
Employee
Employee

Not just mobile / non-mobile, but platform as well... Andriod/iPad/iPhone.

Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Depending on your use case there may be some things that can help you. I dont think they will help Mark as he needs it recorded somewhere that entry criteria for the wizard can access.

- At the bottom of the user record there is a login history section that will show you about the logins from the user. You can also download login history for the org from the setup menu (I think this is 6 months).

- You can enable ServiceMax Sync logs from the ServiceMax group profile. This records each sync and will tell you which device and which version of the app is used. *** A warning on these. We currently have to clear these logs 3 times a day as otherwise they cause errors with mobile device operation. ServiceMax are investigating. The limit is a 50001 query limit. It is worth noting that a large portion of the records we have to clear out are likely created due to using the LINX integration with ServicePower. Use this functionality with caution but it can be very helpful.***

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Doug Van KirkDana Levitt​ This also related to our discussion

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

with creation of all these extra logs it will also significantly affect sync times

recommend to only activate sparingly / periodically in order to assess performance - then turn back off - or turn on for limited user base only if you really need constant data stream

you can also check the Sync Request and Sync Request Log records to have some data on on-going data sync information (although does not provide much detail is still useful as a running log)

Employee
Employee

The point of this idea is real time determination to select which SFWs to display. For Technicians, it can be helpful to view some SFWs while on mobile and then other SFWs while using the browser.

Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi Alex, ServiceMax have confirmed there is a problem with a query related to the use of these logs that is impacting the performance. We expect an improvement following the fix for this. Unfortunately when you have a problem you cant go back and collect logs that aren't there and also cannot proactively monitor sync times from the field. The sync job logs are very useful for this and also for ensuring your user base are on the correct version of apps. I think the sync request logs are the same thing but may not be understanding you fully. Can you send me a link to what you mean by sync request log.

Regards, Richard

Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Understood. The requirement is to have users in the same profile seeing different SFM Wizards on different platforms. One set on mobile devices, a different set on mobile for laptop and a different set when using the browser.

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Sync Request and Sync Request Record objects - apologies for mis-label

shows ongoing sync requests - if avg. # of users goes high, indicates that there is some sync issue going on - either syncs getting stuck or taking longer than normal - but requires a lot of monitoring so not as useful (but does not increase sync times significantly like creating sync logs does so much less "intrusive" of a method) - can also show "false positives" if a lot of techs are coincidentally doing data syncs at the same time (7am)

You can also track ServiceMax app version through most MDM platforms - for example we use airwatch and can run reports on all app versions for all managed devices

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

I need to know if users are using Offline or Online

Is there a report for this ?

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Not sure if this is the best way, but possible:

With Winter 17, you can limit SFM usage by platform

So, first you make a "Offline" SFM version and a "Online" SFM version

(i.e. "Edit WO iPad/Offline" and  "Edit WO Browser/Online")

Create a picklist field on the source object type called "Platform Type"  ::{Online, Offline}

For each SFM version, create separate Mappings to populate the "Platform Type" picklist field on source object  (mapping "Offline" or "Online" to created picklist field)

FINALLY, use the "SFM App Permissions" tool to only grant app permissions to each respective SFM version by platform

Will look something like this:

again, a bit of a roundabout way of accomplishing - but if you need the information bad enough for certain SFM transactions, could be worth the trouble

-split each SFM Transaction (x2)

-split each SFM Mapping (x2)

-maintain SFM App Permission for each SFM Transaction (x1)

Could even use this new tool to segment iPad vs iPhone vs Android vs Windows (MFL) - just takes some configuration to get it setup!