Parts Ordering and Service Contracts

Parts Ordering and Service Contracts

Blue-Sky thinking about Parts Ordering and Service Contracts. When FE’s are placing Part Orders it might be nice to have an interface that would make intelligent part suggestions like "people who ordered this part also ordered these parts too”. Another example, when building Service Contracts Plans the system could suggest "people who selected this Service Contract element also included these elements".  This is similar to when you order a product on Amazon.com and it has a ribbon at the bottom of the screen that makes other product suggestions (with graphics) based on the product that your ordering. I also think our Mobile products would only have this capability when they are online and not offline. This would be a configurable feature since some customers may opt out. The Data model would also increase in order to keep track of all this information.

Product Area?
Work Order Management
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Summer 16
8 Comments
Employee
Employee

Another area specific to parts would be automatically managing part substitutions.

Employee
Employee

Yes!  I was thinking Part Substitutions could be Phase I of the above idea.  ;-)

mike.monin,

I would be interested in understanding this further.  Let's schedule some time to discuss.  Maybe include other interested parties?

Employee
Employee

Agree Ken - and I would love to be part of the discussion.

Product Team
Product Team

It might be possible to leverage the Product Lines and Product Families fields on the product object for this purpose. If the search window needed a filter for "similar products," these fields could determine the results without requiring a keyword entry or name.

Employee
Employee

Lacy - that's a great suggestion for helping with Part substitutions if they setup their Product Family accordingly it could work fine.  This client has another custom object layer called LE (Legal Entity) so the part substitutions could be different for different Regions (US, LA, EMEA etc.) but I might be able to build the filter to accommodate this, just need to test it.  Thanks!

Employee
Employee

Just an idea. 

Try creating a Junction object for Products with Product2 object being the related Objects on both sides of the Custom Object.  For each Product, you add a list of related Products or common product an item is ordered with. (can use Record Type or Picklist to differentiate)

Add a lookup to Work Details or Part Order lines and have them search parts to see what is related before adding the particular part.  You can use Form fill to map the corresponding Product to the line.  Other methods could be context filtering.

If Product is on the Header, you could use Multi-Add to add the products. or maybe even Multi-Source to add a "kit" type concept.

Product Team
Product Team
Status changed to: On The Roadmap

Parts prediction is on our roadmap for a future release.