cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to use blank/null as a value for Field Mapping on SFM

There are many scenarios in which we would require to clear the value in a field when executing an SFM. Eg: Clearing an error message field upon successful execution of an SFM. The current setup in managed package does not provide any option for that. If the field is left blank it is ignored from the mapping all together unless a value is selected.

Timothy SchrimpfTerry CavenderAke DeutschmannDeborah SchnurpelBob LutykDave SalterMala RMirza AlagicMirza Alagic

What is the underlying problem do you intend to solve with this idea?
Unable to set a field to blank or null using SFM mapping
Product Area?
Mobile Field Service Management Work Order Management Other
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Winter 17
16 Comments
Line Chef
Line Chef

Could you supply additional information? Not suse what is being asked.

Thanks

Bob,

This is the ability to reset field values to blank/null via SFMs. As part of the recent project we needed the SFM to clear the current value in dispatch process field as part of its execution to ensure that the work order goes through the new dispatch process and subsequently assigns that work order to a queue. There is no option to do that on the SFM today. We had to apply a customized fix to meet the need.

Line Chef
Line Chef

Ok I understand now, thanks for clarifying

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

I agree with the idea Sharath. I think there will be points in time where organizations might revamp their process and come across the same situation we had. The functionality would definitely make the conversion easier.

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Hello Sharath.

I agree, it would be nice to map a NULL value using SFM mapping. As an alternate solution, you can use SFM Formulas to clear out values of fields upon SFM load. This approach has worked well in the past. An example is as follows: $F.IF($F.EQUAL($D.Work_Order.SVMXC__Order_Status__c, 'Accepted'),'',$D.Work_Order.Rejected_Reason__c)

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the input. Are you using the SFM from the browser or mobile device or both? We did try that approach and it worked well if the SFM is invoked from browser. It however did not work when invoked from a mobile device. We therefore had to create a dummy formula field which evaluates to null and used that in the mapping.

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Hello Sharath. We use this feature at points in the process which are online in the browser. We do use SFMs on the mobile app as well though. Let me test this today with my FSA app and see if it is working the same way.

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

This would be great - have a current project where this is needed.

Hi Jeremy,

In the interim, you could use the either of the below approaches to achieve the outcome:

1. If executing SFM via browser, you could use the option of creating a formula on the SFM. This (based on my testing) does not work when executing the SFM via the mobile device

2. Create a dummy formula field "Null_Field__c" on the corresponding object associated to the SFM which always evaluates to Null. Use that field in the Mapping via "SVMX.CURRENTRECORD.Null_Field__c".

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

The "Null_Field__c" is good - thanks!