cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audit Log for ServiceMax Changes

There is currently no easy way to see audit history of ServiceMax configuration changes. Modifying an SFM for example. This should be similar to the Salesforce Audit log.

Also our experience is that when a user modifies one thing in the org, which we think is using translation workbench, then all the last modified stamps get updated. This erases the little audit info of last modified that we do have.

Due to the way that ServiceMax manage SFM updates turning on field history tracking for the relevant ServiceMax configuration objects would not be enough for auditors.

This is the feedback from the Product team in a ServiceMax Knowledge article:

However, in regard to SFM changes, there is no OOTB UI to track changes to SFM settings.

ServiceMax uses record data to create the SFM transactions, mapping, filter criteria etc. You can use field history tracking on the ServiceMax Process and ServiceMax Config Data objects. However, when changes are made to a mapping or page layout within an SFM, the existing record data is deleted and new records are created.

It is technically possible to track SFM changes in the database, but would require technical expertise from SVMX to make sense of the underlying databases that track the SFM changes.

Use of Salesforce Audit Trails Feature to Track Changes

idea 1467

What is the underlying problem do you intend to solve with this idea?
Unable to meet audit requirements to track changes using ServiceMax Setup.
How is the problem being addressed today, if at all?
Not addressed
Product Area?
Other
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Summer 16
34 Comments
Customer Success Team
Customer Success Team

Anita D'Souza​  Would we be able to get an update on this one?   I know there's been a lot conversation, we have the PS-developed accelerator, and that this item remains actively under review by the Product team.  Is this something that is being considered at this point for any stage of the roadmap?

Thanks for your help!  I know you are attending Kick Off in India so there might be delay in response but wanted to tag this comment while it was in front of me.

Staff Chef
Staff Chef

HI Michael Majerus​, how did you get on with this accelerator? We have just added it as well and it looks helpful.

We developed our own short term solution as well that populates a field on the relevant servicemax back end objects with the last modified. We then tracked history of that field. A bit of code but it works well to get a rough and ready phase 0 audit log. This was to give our auditors something while we wait for the roadmap item.

Regards, Richard

Staff Chef
Staff Chef

We too are keen to understand where this change is on the road map.

Regards, Richard

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Or isn’t

Customer Success Team
Customer Success Team

I'd be interested in hearing more about this!

Product Team
Product Team

Hi Lisa Mercer​ - As a first phase approach, we have enabled tracking changes done by migration tool in 19.1. You can find more details on this here: https://userdocs.servicemax.com/ServiceMaxHelp/191/en_us/svmxhlp.htm#Migration%20Tool/ViewingMigrati...

With this solution, Customers can now track all the changes pushed to production via the migration tool assuming Migration tool is used as primary mode to push changes to Production.

Later this year or early next year, we plan to extend this solution to start tracking changes done by user when any entity in ServiceMax setup is modified.

Shivaranjini Gangadharappa is the PM overseeing and driving these efforts.

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Hello Richard Lewis​. We never actually got this into our orgs. Hoping to revisit this in the near future. From your experience so far, how do you like the features?

Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi Michael Majerus​ and Lisa Mercer​,

I checked with my management and they approved me sharing our solution with you. I have done so separately on email.

Essentially following guidance from ServiceMax we created a field called 'Last Modified By' on the following objects ServiceMax Process, ServiceMax Config Data, Page Layout.

Then triggers and code update this with the details of the last modified date/time and user.

We then tracked the new fields using the Salesforce history tracking and built reports using the history report types.

I haven't used the Accelerator much as it shows you the config records as a series of reports. So you can see active or inactive SFMs and SFWs for example. It doesn't really give the audit information we were looking for but will likely be a useful tool for certain applications. Clean up of old config for example.

Regards, Richard

Customer Success Team
Customer Success Team

Lisa Mercer​ - thanks for reviewing this topic today

Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Agreed, it would also be very useful together with an ability to print out the settings per configuration profile