Column widths on an SFM

The column widths on an SFM are not configurable, making it difficult to include the maximum information on one screen.  We would like to see the ability to set the column widths, regardless of the size of the source field.

What is the underlying problem do you intend to solve with this idea?
Inability to display a maximum number of fields on one screen on an SFM
How is the problem being addressed today, if at all?
1. Training - encourage users to utilize the extended edit to see the full width of the field and label. 2. Reordering fields to move more important information to the first part of the screen
Product Area?
Work Order Management
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Summer 15
23 Comments
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Lisa Mercer   Hello Anita. When redesigning the SFM UI, it would be great if the system remembered the user's preference for collapsed SFM sections like Salesforce does with it's page layout sections. Currently, when you collapse a work order section in a Salesforce page layout, the next time you view any work order, it remembers the preference. In the SFM page layout, the user can collapse a work order section, but the next record visited does not remember that the section should be collapsed. We are using Summer '16.

Product Team
Product Team

Thanks for your comment, Michael Majerus ! Will make a note of this.

Product Team
Product Team

Hi, Susan - Currently within SFM web delivery, the column width of the related line-level can be managed by the individual user and this is saved as the user preference for that SFM transaction. Now if the user relaunches the same SFM Transaction, the personalized column width holds good. Let me know if you want the column width to be managed by ServiceMax Admin in the SFM Designer or let end-user continue to personalize this?

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Which version are you referring to? In Summer 16.60.xxx, the user can expand the size of the column but cannot shrink it past the standard. I would want them to shrink them and then remember the layout for future access. Please let me know if a future version will allow this.

I still would like the person doing the configuration to be able to set the column widths globally. It would offer a better user experience, in my opinion.

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Agree with Susan's comment.

To Anita's post:

Ideally we need admin to be able to set width.  User can then change and save locally if they want.  I have not seen any local save function and column widths do not hold in my system, so this is interesting to hear.  Is there an instruction somewhere detailing how that works or is it just browser cache and then clears?

Product Team
Product Team

Thanks for your feedback, Susan, and Nick! We are definitely looking into enabling column width configuration in the SFM Designer as well as adding few personalization options in the SFM Delivery and it's being tracked as roadmap items for SFM.

Today within SFM Delivery, we have the ability to expand the column width as mentioned by Susan and the system auto-caches this information, hence we don't have an explicit 'Save' option. When you launch the same SFM again, the SFM is loaded with the personalized column width.

Nick Sauer - Could you create a support case if the personalized column width is not maintained after relaunching of SFM in your system?

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Hi Anita - I see that the column width is retained so long as cache is stored.  If cache is cleared, then the widths reset, so this is of minimal use in my opinion.  I think it would be useful to have admin setting and user local setting that is retained. 

Product Team
Product Team

With SFM Lightning beta in WIN18, you can expand as well as minimize the column width so that more columns/data can be accessed by the user. Also, the SFM search lookup window is a pop-up modal allowing users to see more columns and data.

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 4.52.56 PM.png

Product Team
Product Team

Michael Majerus - We were not able to deliver this in WIN18 SFM Lightning beta release, but this is in the product backlog and hopefully available with SFM Lightning GA version. Feel free to create an idea to track this.

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Hi,
Are these personal  settings saved for the next time or do you have to do this everytime?

Gr Hans