Column widths on an SFM

The column widths on an SFM are not configurable, making it difficult to include the maximum information on one screen.  We would like to see the ability to set the column widths, regardless of the size of the source field.

What is the underlying problem do you intend to solve with this idea?
Inability to display a maximum number of fields on one screen on an SFM
How is the problem being addressed today, if at all?
1. Training - encourage users to utilize the extended edit to see the full width of the field and label. 2. Reordering fields to move more important information to the first part of the screen
Product Area?
Work Order Management
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Summer 15
23 Comments
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

yes!!!

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

how do I vote?

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

This feature would be so useful

Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Great idea!

One somewhat related enhancement that would be very valuable is similar functionality on the Lookup screen when used in SFM Delivery.  It appears as though the height of this screen is dependent on the overall size/height of the primary screen design.  Because of that, a screen design with relatively few fields in the header section can result in a Lookup screen that displays only 1 or 2 search result at a time, and is almost unusable on the desktop.

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Note that Idea 1402 is likely a duplicate.  Request is to have this configurable in transaction designer so universally viewable as such.

Idea 1401 is related which is user ability to rearrange layout and save for their user.

Customer Success Team
Customer Success Team

Deirdre Yee​  Can you please confirm that Idea 1402 is a duplicate and if so combine?  Please be sure to tag Varian Medical Systems in this one so I can track.  Thanks!

Product Team
Product Team

Hi Susan - We are currently working on the design to revamp SFM UI so let me know if it will be helpful to make the extended edit as default for data entry similar to data entry on mobile apps. Thanks!

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

If we are thinking "wish list", then I'd like to see the SFM have the choice of which edit screen to default to the user.  I can think of some instances where we might want the extended edit to default, and others where the row-view is optimal.  If I absolutely had to choose, I think I'd leave the row-view.  In the example I have above, we have 5 tabs on our debrief SFM.  I'm not sure the extended edit default would work as a default in that instance.  I think the key is to give our developers the option of defaulting either view, and then the user can switch as needed between them.

I think the way the mobile works (extended edit) is good for that application.  We are looking forward to moving to FSA so that we can have a more flexible row-view of the debrief items, as today Summer 16 is very limited to the number of columns that you can display.  If the goal is to make the browser SFM better match the look and feel of the FSA, I would be OK if the extended edit was also a default in the browser.  I would just like to see the option added to default it as we wish.

Thank you for getting back to me on this.  I'm happy to hear the SFM UI is getting some TLC.

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Anita D'Souza​, one other note.  I agree with the comments from Christopher Thompson​.  I think the height of the row-view is really important.  Today in the browser we see 3-4 rows at once.  It would be great to configure it to see 10+ rows.

Product Team
Product Team

Thanks for the feedback, Susan and Christopher! We are definitely considering SFM lookup UI redesign as well to make this a pop-up modal instead of side-panel and will take your feedback into account.