Configure SFM formula's to run on load, save or both

Configure SFM formula's to run on load, save or both

It would be great to have the option in a formula to configure when the formula should be applied. This could be only when the SFM is loaded, only when the SFM is saved (quick save and/or regular save) or on both load and save.

My use case for this is to default a field within the SFM to a certain value, depending on values from the source object. But allow the user to make a change to the default value before saving. Therefore I would configure the formula to only run on load.

Example: When creating a work order from an Installed Product, I want to default the damage code picklist on the work order depending on the type of IP, but allow the user to change it before saving (because 90% of the time the default value is used), but there are some certain circumstances when another value is required). With the current implementation of SFM formuals, I can set the default value, but if the user changes it, its overwritten by the formula again when saving.

What is the underlying problem do you intend to solve with this idea?
Make SFM Formulas more flexible
How is the problem being addressed today, if at all?
N/a
Product Area?
Installed Base Management Mobile Field Service Management Parts Management Returns Management & Depot Repair Warranties & Contracts Work Order Management
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Summer 16
3 Comments
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Hello Adam Cooper​. Have you thought of checking for a blank value in the SFM Formula? You can add that condition so that it only populates the value from the Installed Product only if the field is blank which would only happen during initial creation.

To have this process work, I believe that the user would have to use the Quick Save to execute the SFM Formula the first time. Then, if the value is manually updated by the user after it's initially populated, the formula will not overwrite it upon clicking Save to exit the record.

Not sure if this meets your needs, but it might be worth a quick try. The below formula example checks to see if the value for the Percent field is blank, then populate a value as required:

sfm formulas​ sfm​ formula​ servicemax formula​

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Nice idea, thanks Michael! However as all our guys use the iPhone app, I don't think this is going to work though because the quick save option isn't available on mobile. Will give it a try though

Product Team
Product Team
Status changed to: Under Consideration