Duplicate field match should include namespace

Duplicate field match should include namespace

When an SFM does a check for duplicate fields being used it doesn't consider the Namespace of the field. So it will see the following two fields as duplicates:

Group_Email__c

SVMXC__Group_Email__c

This has caused multiple customers problems, some with multiple fields on multiple objects.

The duplicate match should consider the namespace.

Nick SauerMichael MajerusAnita D'SouzaTony HerringtonLauri MäkinenSonia Genesse

What is the underlying problem do you intend to solve with this idea?
When an SFM does a check for duplicate fields being used it doesn't consider the Namespace of the field.
How is the problem being addressed today, if at all?
I assume customers are having to change the API names of their custom fields
Product Area?
Mobile Field Service Management
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Winter 17
7 Comments
Roast Chef sonia_genesse
Roast Chef

Spoke with Support last night and this is being looked at currently by SMAX.

Thanks

Sonia

Staff Chef richard_lewis
Staff Chef

Thanks Sonia Genesse​, let us know how you get on please.

Regards, Richard

Staff Chef richard_lewis
Staff Chef

Latest update from Sonia:

For the short term this is what is being proposed, though they're still looking at other options and involving SF in the conversations.

While the workaround below may work for some, I have integrations setup using Dell Boomi for which SF is integrated to two other applications. This would cause more significant updating on my end, if I where to modify the API names only in SF it wouldn't be as much as a pain.

Workaround:

Change the custom field API name to different from installed package custom field API name

More details on this here: https://success.salesforce.com/answers?id=90630000000DNMeAAO

Proceed with Caution: https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=000247975&type=1

Sounds like it was never a "best practice" to create a custom field/label with an already existing SVMXC field. Though in my case, a SMAX Developer created these before my time here.

Pastry Chef russjaco
Pastry Chef

Hi Richard

It has happened to us the other was round, we had custom fields in Salesforce before we has Servicemax, and Servicemax just happened to use the same name.

Russ

Roast Chef sonia_genesse
Roast Chef

Hi Richard Lewis

The update I received today from my open Support Case this afternoon.

Engineering has advised they are unit testing a possible fix and verifying the impacted areas. I'll keep you posted with further updates I receive.

Thanks,

Sonia

Staff Chef richard_lewis
Staff Chef

Thanks Sonia Genesse​, do you have any further updates from Support on this? Can you share your support case number of this so we can push for an update from our side as well?

Regards, Richard

Terry Cavender

Roast Chef sonia_genesse
Roast Chef

Hi Richard Lewis

Happy to share the Case # with you all: Case# 00071908.

I asked for an update today, and below is what I received:

"Engineering is in the process of verifying the impacted areas.  We are expecting an update tomorrow so I'll be sure to share that with you once I receive it".

Thanks!

Sonia