cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration Tool - Migrates ALL SFM's under the SFW even if you only need to migrate 1 changed SFM

Migration Tool - Migrates ALL SFM's under the SFW even if you only need to migrate 1 changed SFM

Currently, when needing to migrate only 1 SFM change and there are multiple SFM's under that specific SFW (wizard) ALL SFM's get migrated.

In my specific situation I had made a change to 1 SFM in SBOX that needed to be migrated to PROD right away. Meanwhile, in SBOX I had other SFM's in development that I didn't want to migrate just yet. I had only selected the 1 changed SFM for migration and it was the only one that appears in the list "to be migrated".

However, once the migration completed users started to notice things were different. It was only then that I realized that ALL SFM's related to a single SFW was migrated over to PROD which yielded undesired results.

If one SFM is selected then only one should be migrated. You may not always need or want to migrate all SFM's under a single SFW.

What is the underlying problem do you intend to solve with this idea?
Trying to eliminate PROD errors by having control of what SFM's are selected for migration, regardless of the SFW grouping.
How is the problem being addressed today, if at all?
Having to address the unwanted migrated SFM's in PROD after errors are created as a result of an non-changed/dev changed SFM being migrated as the a default setting due to the relationship with the SFW.
Product Area?
Communities
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Summer 16
21 Comments
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Hello Sonia Genesse​. I use the migration tool often and haven't experienced the behavior that you noted. Can you replicate the issue? I wonder if something went wrong during the migration as, per your explanation, you never even selected the SFW to migrate. If you can replicate this, you may want to open a case with SMax support. If this was a common occurrence, we would also be in trouble as we often have test SFMs in sandboxes which we don't want getting to production.

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Hi Michael,

This is the expected behavior is what Support has told me. I had never seen it behave this way myself either, which is why I had posted this here.

Their response doesn't make sense, as to why it would expected to behave this way, as this causes a lot of unwanted problems in PROD as you can image.

Thanks for your feedback!

Sonia

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

I would certainly ask for a 2nd opinion from support. I have received some interesting and sometimes conflicting comments in the past. If this were true, again, we would be in big trouble as do a lot of POCs in our sandboxes.

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Hi Michael,

I actually had received  a second opinion from a Manager and was given the same answer. He had actually contacted me directly as my case had not been handled very well and it took a month to get this response.

What version are you running, as I had wondered if this could be version specific..? I'm on Sum 16.50000.9. Was ready to upgrade to Winter 18 though I had another system we integrate with that is being upgraded and testing in our SBOX, therefor I've had to postpone the upgrade for now.

Thanks

Sonia

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Hello Sonia Genesse, we are using Autumn '17 and were previously on Summer '16. To date, I have never seen this behavior. Copying ServiceMax Knowledge​ to get an official response to why migrating (1) SFM would have brought along all other SFMs which share the same SFW.

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Hi Michael,

Thanks for doing that !!

Let's see what happens

Sonia

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Pinging ServiceMax Knowledge​ again and copying Josh Trujillo​. Would like to see the formal support response to Sonia Genesse​'s reported issue.

Retired
Retired

I am looking around internally to see if someone has an answer to this.

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Thank you ServiceMax Knowledge​. I can't imagine that this is actual expected behavior and, instead, a migration tool glitch.

Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi Sonia Genesse​, this definitiely feels like a defect to me. We have stopped using the ServiceMax migration tool due to these sorts of issues with migration. Our production environment has been corrupted a number of times.

Regarding migration, have you considered having a Development and a QA sandbox? The QA Sandbox only has changes in it to be migrated to Production in the upcoming release.

This should eliminate the risk of you encountering this issue. It also gives an environment that is very close to production and can be used for training or reproducing issues.

Regards, Richard