Uberisation of ServiceMax

Firstly, I make no apologies for stealing this from a paper I was sent. The paper was actually about service for consumers, but certainly could apply to the filed service world, as we know it.

For those of you who have used the Uber taxi app, you will know that a key facet of the system is keeping the customer informed. From the point at which you request a pick up, until the end of the journey, you can track on you smartphone exactly what is happening, particularly with regard to where your taxi is, and a good estimate of when it will arrive at the pick up point. The app will also tell you the estimated cost, and time to arrive at your destination. And if you are really sad, you can watch your taxi as it progresses on its way to you, and even avoid looking out of the window during your journey, and track yourself on the map!

My vision of how it may work in the field service scenario is:

Technician presses the "Start Travel" SFM on the Work Order

The customer is sent an alert (email, SMS) with a link

The link takes the customer to an app where they can then see the technicians progress, and estimated time of arrival

The app is updated by each press of the SFMs, and closed when the final SFM, signifying completion/resolution of the service task, is pressed

Of course, this is achievable through customisation within ServiceMax, but let's not all finance the excesses of our consultant friends, let's rely on ServiceMax to come up with a ready to go module.

How is the problem being addressed today, if at all?
Today, many service organisations will give a "guesstimate" of technician arrival at the time that the request is received from the customer, and nothing further until the technician arrives on site
Product Area?
Communities IoT Mobile Field Service Management Scheduling & Dispatch
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Winter 16