cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an SFM edit a read-only or hidden field?

Line Chef
Line Chef

Can an SFM edit a read-only or hidden field?

We are using an SFM to update a work order picklist field, and update a date/time field. Some techs don't use the SFM and manually change the picklist field to an incorrect value. Can I limit the techs' access to the picklist field, but still have the SFM update the value?

I have tried making the field read-only, and then hidden, in the techs' profile, but in both cases, the SFM has no effect on the field value.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
7 Replies
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Re: Can an SFM edit a read-only or hidden field?

Hi Anthony, try setting the field to Read-Only on the Salesforce Page Layout for the respective Record-Type(s).

Regards,

Jan

Message 2 of 8
Line Chef
Line Chef

Thanks for your input, Jan.

I have already tried that. Unfortunately, setting the field to Read-Only inhibits the SFM from updating the field value. The same is true if I set the field to Hidden.

I was hoping that there was some way to have the SFM override the Read-Only setting for the field.

Message 3 of 8
0 Likes
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Hi Anthony,

As you are referring to "Hidden" I am assuming that you are configuring using Field Accessibility in Setup > Security Controls?

If the field is not set "Read-Only" in section "Field-Level Security" for the respective users profile, the profile has edit access to the respective object and access to it concering the Sharing Settings, the field neither needs to be editable nor even visible on the Salesforce Page Layout (section "Page Layout") in order to update it by an SFM. I configured this in our org for every process in order to force users to use SFMs, so it definitively works.

If you set up the field security, object permissions and sharing settings the way described and the field still does not get updated, the problem is not related to those permissions. You could then check, if the user-profile has access to all the ServiceMax configuration-objects used in this scenario ( refer to: https://userdocs.servicemax.com/ServiceMaxHelp/Summer17/en_us/svmxhlp.htm#SFM/AccessAndPermissions.h... )

Best regards,

Jan

Message 4 of 8
0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi  Anthony,

If you go to the SFM in ServiceMax setup you should be able to mark the fields as read only on the screen designer.   Navigate to:

ServiceMax Setup | Service Flow Manager | SFM Transaction Designer

1. Select the custom tab view and search for your SFM.

2. After loading the SFM click into the screen designer tab.

3. Click on the field that you want to stop users from updating and you should see the properties on the right to mark the field as Read Only or Required.

Even though the field is marked as read only in the sfm page layout the mapping should be able to update the value.

ServiceMax
Message 5 of 8
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Hi Anthony,

You can create an SFM Mapping for that object in the SFM and use that picklist field in the mapping and assign the desired value which you want to update in that mapping. In the screen designer mark that field as read-only and you will observe whatever value you have set to that picklist will be visible in that SFM when exceuted. Once you click save the record is saved with the same value which was set and shown in the layout. Hope this solves your problem.

Regards

Mohan

Message 6 of 8
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

We do this a lot and van verify that it works in the iPhone Winter 17 mobile app.

Message 7 of 8
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

You can make the Picklist read only in the Page Layout and SFM Layout while updating it with either a Value Mapping or a formula. If the field is truly read only but available to an Admin to edit, you can use a workflow in SFDC to trigger a field update, while ensuring the Workflow User is of a User Profile with Write Access.

Message 8 of 8