cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Time: Designer 2.0 Question Follow-Up

Product Team
Product Team

Design Time: Designer 2.0 Question Follow-Up

Thank you for attending my Design Time session on July 12th! Below are the unanswered question from the chat - please let me know if you have any other thoughts!

I have also bolder areas where I need more clarification, so if you submitted that question, please share more details!

----

We're unable to identify where the SFM is currently used (tied to lack of versioning somewhat)

• Where Used pop-up modal in the new designer should address this

You can’t assign the SFM directly - you need to get out from this form.

• In the new designer, SFM can be created directly within SFM wizard, this way you can create and assign within one place

It doesn't warn is you're trying to do something that is not fully supported on all platforms.

When you are filtering/qualifying it's very easy to inadvertantly modify a filter that's used elsewhere.

Will the pop up indicating impacted areas show up on delete only or on update as well?

• Where Used pop-up modal will be displayed on both update as well as delete

Doesn’t compatible with different Data Types - it takes only related text to text or number to number

• Need further clarification.

Fields referenced in SFM formulas and validation rules need to be on the layouts.

Will using Formula fields still be a restriction on a layout?

• As of 18.2, fields are not required for mapping and validation rules to work. For SFM formulas, we are looking into building a formula parser to parse and identify fields as well as check syntax such that fields are not needed on the layout.

How about a validate button plus on save? both/and?

Maybe a daily check with email alerts? The validate button idea is a good idea IU-wise.

It would be good to dig into the field validation in the SFM.

• Typically ‘undefined error’ on SFM Delivery is due to deleted/missing fields or broken SFM component associate. In the new designer, when SFM component updated, the new Designer engine will check for the deleted/missing fields. We also plan to introduce ‘Validate’ button which also perform an explicit check.

Will errors on sfm be very clear?

Usually when field is removed or changed, sfm throws unknown error instead of telling clearly what the error is.

• Prior to 18.2, if a fields was deleted or missing 'undefined' error would be display. With 18.2, we are also display the error message.

If we changed the naming convention how would that impact existing?

• For the purpose of backward compatibility we'll run a script to merge the name+ID for SFM component with duplicate names.

Can we get a time/date user modified stamp on the expressions?

• Yes. You can view this information via the new Expression List View.

If we time/date user stamp edits to the SFM at the SFM level itself, can we get a snippet of exactly what component or expression was modified?

Can we see audit trail also - if we modify expression?

• This requirement is being tracked for Audit trail.

Top 2 Pain-points

1. Performance Poor - On load, On Save

2. Cannot track version(Audit trial) - Who, When & what was modified for each component

3. Bottom-up approach

4. Debugging is difficult - Cannot trace to error cause

Didn’t open the SFM properly - get the 101 error or View state error...

• Need clarification on which screen you got this error.

Can we see all kind of fields or any restrictions?

• Are you referring to SFDC formula field?

Can we see SFDC formula fields in the SFM page layouts?

Can we show errors of validations directly while entering the value instead of save button now?

It would be good to show the mapped field when hovering over the field on the SFM page layout.

Will using Formula fields still be a restriction on a layout?

Maybe a daily check with email alerts?

• Currently not planned but something we can consider. Please share your use-case for this requirement and more input will help

Will we be able to clear the value in a field (set to Blank) in the mapping....today we cannot set a value of blank..?

Need to map NULL. Right now we have to use SFM formulas to null values

• Could you please share an example for this?

Can we map fields not on the page layout? The updated mapping solution looks like we cannot do that anymore so that would be a change.

• Yes. You can map fields that are not the layout

Is the status column indicative of whether it's linked or not?

• The Status column in the Transaction List View is to indicate if the Transaction is complete or not.

Can you demo the audit trail functionality please?

• We will plan to have another design time for audit trail in specific.

Is there an ability to add new buttons on tab level?

•      Are you referring to Linked SFM button? Please clarify.

Only available in lightning?

• The new designer will be available for both Classic as well as Lightning but it is using Lightning style and UX.

Would like the designer to guide the user in the SFM creation.

The SFM creation interface should walk the user through the process of creating the SFM according to what the user is trying to achieve.

Can we highlight the colours and sections on the Child Section tabs with different colors?

Could the save button auto-save all components?

• We are looking into this for the new Designer.

I'd love to see api name here as well. we have some fields with the same names.

• In the new Designer, we plan to display API names for Objects as well as Fields

Oh…there is create new button option?

Instead having only save defined in old way?

Can we show errors of validations directly while entering the value instead of save button now?

• This will increase processing time as after every data entry/selection we will need to validate. So instead we plan to initiate the check on save.

When we can see this?

• Currently we are targeting the initial version of the new Designer for mid-next year i.e., 19.2 (Safe Harbor!).

If you missed the session, here's the Video Link : 1549​ and the Design Time: Designer 2.0 Presentation​! I look forward to your responses, and our next Design Time together.

Message 1 of 11
10 Replies
Product Team
Product Team

Re: Design Time: Designer 2.0 Question Follow-Up

David BrieckSharath SatheeshMichael MajerusSonia GenesseRamesh KotamareddyRichard LewisEsther Fournier​ I know some of these questions were yours! Please take a look and let me know if you have any feedback.

Message 2 of 11
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Doesn’t compatible with different Data Types - it takes only related text to text or number to number

I don't know if this was mine, but when you're trying to map fields, it will only let you map fields if they are the exact same type. It would use useful to be able to map numeric fields to text fields, date to text, lookup to text, etc.

Message 3 of 11
0 Likes
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Hello Anita D'Souza​. Thank you for posting this. For us the most important items are the: fields not needing to be on the layout, the API names appearing on the designer, and the ability to have a 'NULL' function which can be used in SFM Mapping upon SFM load. I think the first 2 items are being addressed, the third item is a nice-to-have. We are currently achieving this same result using an SFM formula, but an SFM Literal would be even better.

One item which is greatly impacting our use of the current designer is the 'Shockwave' error which prevents loading of the designer, or hangs during load. This just started to affect us in a big way about 1 - 2 months ago, so I think it might be Google Chrome version related, but I'm not sure if we have another option as Chrome is the recommended browser for SMax. Any ideas you have about that issue would be welcomed. On average it takes ~5x longer to work in the designer than it did a few months ago.

sfm designer​ sfm transaction designer​ null​ null field​ sfm​ sfm literal​ sfm literals​

Lisa Mercer​  Brittany Taylor

Message 4 of 11
Product Team
Product Team

Hi Michael- I am checking on value map to null with the team and will get back. Regarding 'Shockwave' error, this is due to the current designer being on Flash. Have tried these steps: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln186210/how-to-fix-shockwave-flash-crashes-in-google...

Message 5 of 11
Product Team
Product Team

Hi Michael - For new records if the field is not mapped then it would be considered as blank/ empty /Null. Here the ask is to have an option to clear the value of the existing record through field mapping - correct.

Message 6 of 11
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Hello . Yes, you're correct. The purpose of some of our edit SFMs is to reset data such as the Assigned Engineer during SFM launch. We have that use case across several SFMs which are used to edit existing records.

Message 7 of 11
0 Likes
Product Team
Product Team

Thanks Michael. Will get back to you on this.

Message 8 of 11
Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Will there be a ‘Where Used’ for expressions so we can see where or if an expressive is in use before we decide if we need a new one or can safely modify an existing one?

Message 9 of 11
Product Team
Product Team

Yes Mark Taylor​ - The plan is to have similar 'Where Used' modal on every reusable SFM component to provide information on where it is being used.

Message 10 of 11