Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force a record create from FSA

Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Force a record create from FSA

Jump to solution

Hi all, We have a stand alone SFM to create a record which we require every engineer to do every morning before they start work. Does anyone know if there is a possibility of building or configuring something to enforce that this happens? We have issues whereby the record is required, but often engineers forget to create or don't create it - resulting in the admin teams having to chase engineers to complete this. I would really like to identify if there is a way we can force this to happen or at least put an alert on the FSA every morning to remind the engineer that this is a required function?

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards, Mark

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 6
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Re: Force a record create from FSA

Jump to solution

Hi @mark_v3553 , Let me try to clarify.

You want to force the Technician to create the record before they do any work.

So you need to consider the work they could be doing and prevent them from doing that work until they have created the record.

This is why I was talking about editing the work order. If you prevent the technician from editing the work order until they have created this record then you achieve your objective.

You can put the same logic into every change they may make. For example if they could edit a work order or create a time entry then you would add a check to the trigger/code for each object (work order and time entry) to check the technician record when saving and see if the tech had completed their daily safety check that day.

Does that make more sense?

Regards, Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Message 4 of 6
0 Likes
5 Replies
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Jump to solution

Hi @mark_v3553 , an interesting challenge indeed.

When one of these records is created then update the technician record in a new field for 'technician last checked in' with the date of creation.

Then get this value to the work order

Then sfm validation rule with a hard stop on work order that will not allow it to be edited if the date doesn't equal today.

prevent manual editing of this date.

Or what may be easier than that is a more code solution.

Have your code in your work order trigger check that the technician record has the new field populated with todays date and if it doesn't then throw an error message.

Techs will see the error message every time they try to save an edit on a work order until they create the new record and do a data sync.

Regards, Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Message 2 of 6
0 Likes
Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Jump to solution

Thanks very much for the reply!

The SFM we are talking about is to create a stand alone record, it has no connection to the work order. Effectively it is a daily safety check, the engineer must answer a series of questions every morning before they commence work.  This records their fitness for work, the condition of their vehicle and tools - and has some exception alert emails based on specific answers.  The problem we have is that the often forget to do it, and have to be reminded! We would like it so that they are forced to do it every business day. 

Hope that clarifies a little more?
Message 3 of 6
0 Likes
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Jump to solution

Hi @mark_v3553 , Let me try to clarify.

You want to force the Technician to create the record before they do any work.

So you need to consider the work they could be doing and prevent them from doing that work until they have created the record.

This is why I was talking about editing the work order. If you prevent the technician from editing the work order until they have created this record then you achieve your objective.

You can put the same logic into every change they may make. For example if they could edit a work order or create a time entry then you would add a check to the trigger/code for each object (work order and time entry) to check the technician record when saving and see if the tech had completed their daily safety check that day.

Does that make more sense?

Regards, Richard

Message 4 of 6
0 Likes
Highlighted
Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Jump to solution

Hi @richard_lewis 

Yes sorry, 100% agree that seems to make perfect sense - if we make the entry criteria for the Edit WO SFM we have dependant upon the daily safety check record having been completed, this will prevent any WO from being actioned (or logged onto) until such time as the Safety Check record is completed! Makes perfect sense! 

Thanks, as always for your kind guidance and support! 

BR, Mark

Message 5 of 6
0 Likes
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Jump to solution

You are most welcome @mark_v3553 . Let us know how you get on with the solution for this and reach out if you have any further queries.

Regards, Richard

Message 6 of 6
0 Likes