cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update WO format without restricting access to legacy information?

Fry Chef
Fry Chef

How to update WO format without restricting access to legacy information?

I am working on updating some of the fields we currently utilize in our work order forms to better suit the current and future needs of our engineers in the field. I am planning to replace several standard text fields with new custom multi-picklist fields in order to support future analytical reporting needs and increase reporting consistency between users. During my initial testing in the sandbox, I quickly realized that by adjusting these fields, it would not allow users to view the "Legacy" fields that have been updated by simply modifying layout views. Our engineers currently utilize the "old" open text fields we intend to replace for investigative purposes. I am looking now at creating a new WO type and updating all the SFM's that we use to initiate WO creation in order to maintain both "old" and "new" format WO's to be viewable by the user base. That said I wanted to reach out to the community to find if this was the best option available or if anyone else had experience with this type of situation and could offer a less intensive change process. Thanks for your time and consideration regarding this matter. 

Message 1 of 4
0 Likes
3 Replies
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Re: How to update WO format without restricting access to legacy information?

Hi @jbragdon ,I think we may need more information here on where you are trying to view these fields. Are they on a ServiceMax form or are they on the View Work Order screen or are they on an edit work order screen? Apologies if I haven't grasped this from your post.

If it is a view work order screen then the app gives you the ability to switch between different view SFMs and this possibly could solve the problem for you as you could maintain both.

Maybe some screenshots would help to understand your solution further?

Regards, Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Message 2 of 4
0 Likes
Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Richard,

Thanks for the reply. To answer your first question the field is viewed on the SVMX Work Order page. To explain a little more of the context we have a particular field under the "problem description" section of our Work Order page. The field "Visit Description" is currently an open text field.

(before)

Capture.JPG

Since this was used for all of our WO's prior when I change it to the new Picklist version by simply replacing it with a new custom picklist field with the same name and changing the user layout view. All the old WO's show an empty picklist field were the on with completed text once was. 

Capture.JPG

Obviously, the data is still there, its just not viewable by the user since I made changes to the layout. I could keep both fields available but we want to reduce the clutter on the WO page and this will not help drive adoption of using the new picklist field area. 

This brings up my idea of basically cloning the old WO type and launching a new one with the updated fields. I would create a new layout view for that new WO type which should allow my users to view data from both old and new WO's without interrupting their access to the data found in the old "open text" field version of "Visit Description".

I hope this helps to give more clarity but I am happy to answer more questions if not. Thanks again for reaching out!!

PS: this topic is not directly related to any SFM issue but was relocated here from another area in hopes of finding a better solution. I would still need to update my SFM's with the new WO type if that becomes my best option. 

Message 3 of 4
0 Likes
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi @jbragdon , there a few ways to approach this, one suggestion below.

I assume you have another free text field on your work order? Maybe a notes field?

Take all historic work orders and add the value from your visit description text field in to that field. Appended to the existing data.Use a dataloading tool for this.

EXAMPLE

Machine was broken and I fixed it. (this is existing text in the notes field)

VISIT DESCRIPTION: Repair Machine (this is text added in your dataload)

You can then add a new picklist value to your visit description field called. 'Legacy Work Order - see notes field'. Or call it something else, the name should just point to where the information can be found.

I think if you make this picklist value inactive then user cannot select it as an option but it will still show in the field.

Does this sound like it would help? If not I can suggest some other options such as converting the old work orders by determining the value in the new picklist value that needs populating based on the free text value. This is a clean but likely time consuming option.

Regards, Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Message 4 of 4