cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible for an SFM Search to search with multiple search terms?

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Is it possible for an SFM Search to search with multiple search terms?

In Salesforce using global search, its possible to search for part of the account name and part of the postcode, and it will automatically find the account in the correct area.

E.g. searching for "pop ha4" finds account: Pop In Cafe in post code: HA4 6RU

This is a quick and easy way for a tech to find an account if he knows the name and what postal area he/she is in. 

Whereas searching for just "Pop In Cafe" gives many non-relevant results, for example: 

In the ServiceMax mobile app (iPhone Classic Winter 17), we have defined a SFM Search called "Find Accounts or Equipment" and set it up to search account name, street, city and post code among others. 

However, when we search for two search terms, such as "pop ha4" mentioned earlier, it doesn't return any results as seen here: 

And searching for "Pop in cafe" gives lots of results, therefore wasting time to find the correct one. Sometimes there can be hundreds if you are looking for a Burger King or McDonalds... 

So the question is: Is there a way to make a SFM search work like global search and search on multiple terms? Perhaps using operators such as % or , or - etc. I have tried these but to no avail  

Employee
Employee

Re: Is it possible for an SFM Search to search with multiple search terms?

Hi Adam,

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of the SFM search currently. A work around I've previously implemented for customers is in the SFM Search setup allowing multiple fields to be searched on i.e. post code field. As you've mentioned in your explanation that is a field you and your users typically search on. 

I would suggest identifying what other key fields you could include in the search setup to allow more flexibility - a point worth noting is that you have the possibility of including fields from related objects in the search setup as well. 

Javed

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Hey Javed, thanks for getting back to me. 

For your workaround, do you mean defining multiple fields to search, such as account name and post code? But you can still only search either account name or post code, right? You cant do them both at the same time like you can in global search? So I guess you use one or the other, depending on what you think will give better results? 

Adam. 

Employee
Employee

Hi Adam,

Yes, that is exactly the case. Appreciate it doesn't completely solve the combination search requirement, but this allows users flexibility to search on more than one field (exclusively) depending on which they feel would give them a better result. 

Javed

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Yep - this is exactly what we already do

Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi Adam, this idea looks like its asking for a similar thing to you:

Regards, Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Highlighted
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Thanks - have voted on this idea too

0 Likes
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi Adam Cooper, it looks like this question has been answered with a workaround and an idea. If so then please mark one of the answers as correct or mark the question as assumed answered. This helps other users of the community find the answers to their questions.

Regards, Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
0 Likes