cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit SFM Wizards/Transactions to users within a profile, without assigning the whole SFDC profile to SFM profiles?

mark_taylor
Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Limit SFM Wizards/Transactions to users within a profile, without assigning the whole SFDC profile to SFM profiles?

Jump to solution

Is there any best practice or work around to limiting SFM Wizards/Transactions to users within a profile, without assigning everyone in the SFDC profile to SFM profiles?

I do not want everyone in the SFDC profile to have access to certain SFM's but cannot see how to restrict it to certain users since I have to assign the SFDC profile to the SFM.

This widget could not be displayed.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jphillips
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Re: Limit SFM Wizards/Transactions to users within a profile, without assigning the whole SFDC profile to SFM profiles?

Jump to solution

If you are using only one profile for all users then it is going to be very difficult to do. On the user record, there are fields that can be used to differentiate users even within the same profile. So you could do something like the following (I haven't tested this particular scenario but I believe it will work based on a similar application I implemented):

SFDC Profile: Service Coordinator {let's say we have 4 different types of coordinators but we only want to see those belonging to our Support business unit}

SFDC Profile contains: 24 users

1. User record field: Business Unit {this may be a custom field we created, I can't recall}

2. For 6 of our 24 users, they belong to the Support business unit. So for those 6 we will set Business Unit to 'Support' picklist value.

3. Create a field on the Object where you are trying to restrict the SFM's at and call it some like IS_Support or something.

• Field should be a custom field with a formula>checkbox setup
  • This will allow the formula to control the value in the checkbox
  • You will craft the formula to look at the user's Business Unit and mark as 'TRUE' when it equals 'Support'

4. From here, on your particular SFM button you will write a filter to only allow access to the SFM when IS_Support shows as 'TRUE'

I can't find the particular field I did this on but if you'd like I can scrounge up more details.

Otherwise, the easiest way to get this to happen is by creating multiple profiles but that can get messy if you have a lot of customization. Although the clone feature cuts down on errors.

Hope that maybe helps!

View solution in original post

jphillips
Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Re: Limit SFM Wizards/Transactions to users within a profile, without assigning the whole SFDC profile to SFM profiles?

Jump to solution

If you are using only one profile for all users then it is going to be very difficult to do. On the user record, there are fields that can be used to differentiate users even within the same profile. So you could do something like the following (I haven't tested this particular scenario but I believe it will work based on a similar application I implemented):

SFDC Profile: Service Coordinator {let's say we have 4 different types of coordinators but we only want to see those belonging to our Support business unit}

SFDC Profile contains: 24 users

1. User record field: Business Unit {this may be a custom field we created, I can't recall}

2. For 6 of our 24 users, they belong to the Support business unit. So for those 6 we will set Business Unit to 'Support' picklist value.

3. Create a field on the Object where you are trying to restrict the SFM's at and call it some like IS_Support or something.

• Field should be a custom field with a formula>checkbox setup
  • This will allow the formula to control the value in the checkbox
  • You will craft the formula to look at the user's Business Unit and mark as 'TRUE' when it equals 'Support'

4. From here, on your particular SFM button you will write a filter to only allow access to the SFM when IS_Support shows as 'TRUE'

I can't find the particular field I did this on but if you'd like I can scrounge up more details.

Otherwise, the easiest way to get this to happen is by creating multiple profiles but that can get messy if you have a lot of customization. Although the clone feature cuts down on errors.

Hope that maybe helps!

View solution in original post

mark_taylor
Roast Chef
Roast Chef

Jump to solution

Thanks. I see what you are doing and will give it a go. I'll let you know how I get on.

Sent from my phone